70lb daw crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ilcrossbowhunter

70lb daw crossbow

Post by ilcrossbowhunter »

i am buying a 70lb draw crossbow from ebay and i wanted to know if this would be enough draw weight to kill a deer or turkey
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

NO...

It might not even be legal..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
ilcrossbowhunter

thanks i will check the local game laws maybe i keep it around for small game
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

75 is the minimum for Deer in Ohio. power stroke means alot on crossbows-the old barnett commando (the one you break in half to cock it lik a pellet gun) had 175 but its way way under a vixen in terms of power.

My Indoor (Point Blanc with a Mark H stock and a palm rest) and outdoor (Mike Gough stocked Australian Contender) both are around 90 pounds-plenty for small game-wouldnt shoot deer with them
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
Biker

Post by Biker »

My father (in his younger days) hunted deer with a 40lb pull wooden longbow. He brought in meat every year. Often in the summer when we needed food. Guess he didnt know any better. When I brought home a 125lb Compound longbow, he liked that alot, yet still used his old wooden verticle. When I brought home a crossbow the first time, he became quite disgruntled. I was told I may as well use a .30.30. Time moves on, and technology gets better. I still use a crossbow, and am anxious to check out the Excalibur line. But as to your question, I dont know about leagal stuff, but the 40lb wooden longbow with my dad behind the string kept me fed for a very long time. That string sure hurt the inside of my wrist. I never did learn that stick.
BOB VANDRISH

70 lb crossbow

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Ontario has 40 lb minimum for compound,recurve and long bow,and 99 lb minimum for crossbows.
There are also restrictions on min length of shafts for each type of bow.
Those draw weights apply to deer hunting regulations only.
Illinois must also set similar standards.
Based on the above,a 70 lb crossbow would seem a bit light for deer hunting.
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Who would know?????Silence is golden.
BOB VANDRISH

70 lb draw crossbow

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Sorry to disappoint you,but the regs say that crossbows are illegal in Illinois,unles you are handicapped.
You need to apply for a special permit that has to be signed by a doctor.
Any other bow,the draw weight has to be a minimum of 40 pounds.
Had to chase that one down!
Bob Vandrish.
ilcrossbowhunter

sorry to disappoint bob but i have the permit to hunt with a crossbow here in illinois. i asked the question because i am new to crossbow hunting but back injury prevents me from hunting with my recurve