Revolution broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

geraldbergeron

Revolution broadheads

Post by geraldbergeron »

Hi everybody,

I was using the Revolution broadheads this deer season; I had some frustrations on those retractables.

I shot a deer at 50 yards; the arrow hit right in the ribs. The retraction did not work... I lost it !!

Same scenario with the Slick Trick: WOW the buck went 100 feet and fell there.

Do you know the Revolution broadheads ? What do you think of them ?

http://www.rockymtbroadheads.com/99-rocky-rev.htm

..............................................Joyeux Noel ! ...................Gerald....../
Last edited by geraldbergeron on Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Never heard of them. I know alot of guys on here shoot the slick's though.

50's a way out there man, too far for me.

Jay
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Hum............why have I heard this, over and over. With todays advancements in quality fix blades, why have mechanical failures?
Tom

Post by Tom »

DOXNUT wrote:Hum............why have I heard this, over and over. With todays advancements in quality fix blades, why have mechanical failures?
Because with almost all fixed blade heads that have a large cutting surface you have problems with accuracy in windy conditions. It could be said as well .... with all the advancements in QUALITY MECHANICALS why use fixed heads. The problem is not with mechanicals or with fixed heads, it iw with the QUALITY of head in each situation. I do not know these heads so I do not know if they are a quality head or not but I also think that the ASSUMPTION that the blades did not open can be very misleading. If he lost the deer, how does he know that the blade did not work properly.

The Ribs might have been where the crosshairs were when he released the arrow, but at 50 yards, that is along time for the arrow to get there. The deer could have easily moved creating a bad hit. Not saying that is the case here either, but without having the deer to look at the entry or exit ou can't know for sure.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

You did not give enough detail to assume the head did not work,

Did you find blood, did you find the arrow, was there hair under the blades, did the arrow smell like a gut shot.
I shot a bear with a shockwave mechanical this season and found my arrow sticking in a tree with the blades closed and the band in place it had gone through the bear cutting a hole you could put your hand in, the bear
ran only 30yds. If I didn't know better i might have thought the blades didn't open.
The old man from the mountain
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

I feel broadheads, on an archery forum, are like caliber choices on a rifle forum. For me, I'm the biggest fan of the .25-06 Remington, that lives. I have seen instant kills (my own and others) that were just plain amazing. I've never had an animal go more than 10 feet after being struck. My rifles name is Zeus, as it seems to throw bolts of lightning, not bullets. I shot an antelope, at 525 lasered yds, that when he stood up, I squeezed the trigger and he fell right back in the bed. Now mind you, I do a lot of groundhog hunting all summer, and am very comfortable shooting at 500 yds. Closer the kills even seem more spectactular. I shot a doe at 360 yds this year, and she never new what hit her. I've seen Elk, Mule Deer, Black Bear, all fall to the .25-06 But now that I've rambled, the point is, use what works for you. I first used mechanical heads out of a 72# compound, before I had my shoulder injury. (Vortex and Jackhammers (can't remember the manufacturer) and found them very effective. I think I shot 7-8 deer, with good results. Then it happened. I shot a deer, which I feel the shot was in the lungs, and the blades on the broadhead, folded up, and the arrow fell out, and at that point, left not one more drop of blood, resulting in a lost buck. I swore then to go back to fixed blades, and shot Muzzy's, and have had great success with them. The bottom line, is shot placement. Sometimes we take shots, that seem the perfect angle, or perfectly broadside, and they are not as we see them. Poor relults, usually occur. No blood, and no recovery. Take high percentage shots, and get high percentage results, is what an "old timer told me years ago, and nothing could be more true. I am however, having trouble shooting broadheads out of my crossbow. I had trouble with the Exomax, and am now having trouble out of my Phoenix. I've read on here, a hundred times, Slick Tricks fly just like field points. They fly good, but in my bows, not exactly like field point. Well, I've been shooting a bow for 35 plus years, and the only thing I've found to fly EXACTLY like field points, is field points. Shot placement, is the key. Mechanical, or fixed. Just my 71/2 cents worth since I went on so long. Merry Christmas to all. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain