bolts/arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

navaman

bolts/arrows

Post by navaman »

well, this is my first question to you experienced x-bow hunters out there.i just bought my first excalibur , the vixen , and i ordered some arrows too. i recieved the gold tip lazer II but i don't know what thier weight is. i do want to stay as light as possible without screwing up flight . i will be using 100 grain fixed blade b-heads and i think i read that the vixen should use a light set-up. would someone out there help me with this ?i'm glad to join the ranks of the owners of the finest x-bows made. :?
Normous

Post by Normous »

My Goldtips with 100gr heads run about 367grains on my RCBS scale.
Hope that helps.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wabi

Post by wabi »

The GoldTip laser2 with 5" vanes weighs about 260 grains. If you use 75 grain points you would still be OK for the Vixen at a total arrow weight of 335 grains. I don't think using 100 grain points for a total of 360 grains would cost you all that much velocity, though.
wabi
navaman

Post by navaman »

just wanted to thank you guys for responding. the 75 grain idea i like, but i'm wonderering about ft. lbs. of energy. i once read where bill t said it only takes about 30 or 40 lbs of energy to take deer. also if i wanted to hunt something bigger like feral hogs or an elk wouldn't i just be able to use a heavier broadhead, like my nap 125 grain thunderheads ? i guess you guys can tell i'm as green as snot and i appreciate the patience :oops: