Trajectory of Excalibur XBows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fox

Trajectory of Excalibur XBows

Post by Fox »

I currently have an old Crisbow and shot my first deer this year with it, assisted by my father who hit it first but a little back. The problem is my bow trigger group malfunctioned, the bow would shoot when I took it off safe, not the best thing and I noticed it on this hunt and shot the deer by flicking the safety off while aiming for the kill zone. I seem to have fixed the problem but I have heard that once this happens it can never really be fixed, and with sich a cheap bow it is not really worth having it taken apart.

I do want to know from users what the trajectory of the different excalibur bows are, I like these, my father shoots an old wolverine and my buddies have Exocets. I was thinking about getting away from the 150# range and I really like the Exomax but is it worth the extra money. What trajectory do you guys get from it, I am used to a real rainbow with the Crisbow so anything will beat that.

Thanks
TYE

Post by TYE »

If you're hunting deer, the Phoenix is the perfect crossbow :)
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D this might answer your questions GREYWOLF
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/arrow.html
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Fox

Post by Fox »

Thanks, that is what I was looking for, I like to see the kinetic energy numbers as well. I do not plan on buying another XBow for a long time and I know the quality of excalibur will allow that. That being said I plan on hunting bear and moose at some point with the bow and going a little faster and harder hitting is better than too slow. Can you give me some esperiences with the ExoMax. Are they worth the money or would the Phoenix work for all the situations stated. If you know the exact distances and have practised with the ExoMax at 50 yards is it practical with wind and other factors to shoot at game at that range or whould you still stick with the 30 yard rule as I have with the Crisbow.

Thanks
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D I have had my max for over a year now and I love it. It's super fast , deadly accurate and packs a hell of a punch, for deer it is a great bow the speed practically eliminates string jump out to 30 yards. For bear and moose it surely has the K.E. to take them down, as far as 50 yard shots on a deer NO WAY, but a slower not so quick to spook animal ? It would be a personal call , based on your ability. I have taken turkey out to 55 yards, and on a bear , if a clear open shot came around knowing how much practice I put in with mine I would most likely take the shot, but every thing would have to be perfect. If your not just going for deer , and plan on bear and moose go with the MAX , Just my 2 cents GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Fox

Post by Fox »

Thanks, I read some of the other posts and I tend to agree with the 50 yard deer being a no-no, mind you I know of people taking them farther but I personally would not try it. I was just trying to get a feel of what the 325fps and 225# pull mean in the reality of hunting, if it is really worth it. Mind you my deer this year was only about 15 yards and I hit it in the lungs but did not get a full pass through, I saw the arrow sticking out as it ran, only went 20 yards after I hit it.

Thanks again for the input, do you know where the best prices on ExoMax bows are? Is the Accessory kit worth while, the one that includes the Varizone scope and arrows/quiver. Just trying to get a feel of how much this might cost me in the spring, I was also thinking of vertical archery but would rather like to practise for a year before trying to take a deer with that.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Welcome to the forum Fox. If your wanting the Varizone scope and also need the other things, Yes I would get the package. With the Exomax I believe that you will want the Rope cocker which I believe is included in the kit.

The only advantage I see in going with the greater poundage (max over the phoenix) would be if you were going to hunt larger animals like moose. Since you have stated that you would liike that option, then you will have the option of going with a heavier arrow and keep acceptable speed. Also, any of the Excalibur bows would be acceptable for moose. All of these bows will give you a pass through on a broadside shot (in the chest cavity), even the !%) lb model.

Also you should remember that some States limit the poundage of crossbows to only 200lbs.

Good luck in your choice.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Fox

Post by Fox »

I do not plan on going to the states to hunt, but there are bear in the area we hunt deer with the rifle and I have always wanted to moose hunt with a bow, hense the thought of going bigger now. Do you guys forsee the laws in Ontario changing to limit bow poundage?