Want to try - compounds.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gad

Want to try - compounds.

Post by gad »

I love my excaliburs - exomax and exocet 175 - but I would like to buy a new toy, and try some compound bow.

My drawn lenght is between 27" and 27.5". I would like to buy one compound bow of 70 lbs, that could generate with that drawn lenght the at least 60 - 65 foot/pounds.

The main requisite is the precision. I know that I will need to shoot a lot to become a precise compound shooter, but the bow must be perfect in precision. I have had some models in consideration:

- browning F5 tornado
- bowtech tomkat
- mathews fx2
- archery research AR35

I have never shoot any compound. And I just cant do that, cause I live in Brazil. No stores of compounds here. I will buy it from some internet dealer.

Any advice?
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
Digger

Post by Digger »

If your going to buy a top end compound gad, you'd be much better off going to a pro shop that carries these bows and shoot them yourself. Last thing you want to do is spend $650-$1000.00 US for a mail order bow that doesn't feel right.
If there are no shops around make friends with people that have own these bows and try them.
I found I liked a Martin compound better than Hoyt or Bowtech.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Boo

Post by Boo »

Oi, como vai!. Digger is right. You really have to pick them up to try them. There are so many good bows today it boggles the mind and some are so different. If you want to reduce your chances of getting a bow that doesn't fit you should have to get a bow that has a good range of adjustment for drawlength. I have an UltraTech (Hoyt) and it has 4 inches of adjustment that you do not need a bow press to adjust. Some compounds need a bow press to adjust DL. You need some adjustment if you do not go to a bow shop. A more flexible DL will allow shooting style changes such as using a string release, different releases etc. Check out http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=46. It is a pretty friendly forum with tons of knowledgable techies.
You will find that there are an awfull lot of different opinions out there so take everything you read with a grain of salt. One thing to keep in mind is that with all the new technology you will probably do just fine with a 50/60 lb bow. I also have a 60/70 Jennings VPS that shoots 322 IBO and my Hoyt shoots pretty close in a 50/60 lb bow. The very best advice I can give you is to check out the forum above as well as this one. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/
Good luck, you're gonig to need it.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

The guys explained it pretty good there, gad.

Here's something you could read when you have time.
There's good info in there that may help you out some.

Good luck on finding a compound bow that is best for you...

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselecti ... StatDecept
Ontario Trophy Bucks
TYE

Post by TYE »

Gad, unless you're a big strong guy, don't bother with 70LB draw weight, because after shooting 10 minutes, you will probably be tired and sore. 60LB's is perfect for any hunting situation, and great for target shooting, because it won't tire you out. I can tell you, that almost everyone that comes into our archery shop, sold all there 70LB compound bows and got 55-60LB bows, because 70LB's was too much.
redmandant

Post by redmandant »

IMHO, for a new shooter, stay with the 65% let off. 60lbs is lots for your bow.

Try them out, all the brands you mentioned are good, but check out PSE and jennings/fred bear.

also the super compact bows require perfect form and dont allow much room for mistake.

First bow should be larger axle to axle, avoid an overdraw and dont be too concerned with maximum speed.

The wolfs den south of Barrie, has en excellent shop and 3-d range and many very helpfull staff and clients (i sound like I am advertising for them)

Good luck and shoot straight...
I know I can't spell but does it look like I CAIR!!!!!
TYE

Post by TYE »

redmandant wrote:IMHO, for a new shooter, stay with the 65% let off. 60lbs is lots for your bow.

Try them out, all the brands you mentioned are good, but check out PSE and jennings/fred bear.

also the super compact bows require perfect form and dont allow much room for mistake.

First bow should be larger axle to axle, avoid an overdraw and dont be too concerned with maximum speed.

The wolfs den south of Barrie, has en excellent shop and 3-d range and many very helpfull staff and clients (i sound like I am advertising for them)

Good luck and shoot straight...
Good advice. :)
gad

Post by gad »

TYE wrote:Gad, unless you're a big strong guy, don't bother with 70LB draw weight, because after shooting 10 minutes, you will probably be tired and sore. 60LB's is perfect for any hunting situation, and great for target shooting, because it won't tire you out. I can tell you, that almost everyone that comes into our archery shop, sold all there 70LB compound bows and got 55-60LB bows, because 70LB's was too much.
Not that I am that strong, but I can cock the exomaX with little effort.
The need for speed also counts .... :twisted:
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
TYE

Post by TYE »

gad wrote:
TYE wrote:Gad, unless you're a big strong guy, don't bother with 70LB draw weight, because after shooting 10 minutes, you will probably be tired and sore. 60LB's is perfect for any hunting situation, and great for target shooting, because it won't tire you out. I can tell you, that almost everyone that comes into our archery shop, sold all there 70LB compound bows and got 55-60LB bows, because 70LB's was too much.
Todays compounds will still shoot around 300fps with 60# draw weights.
gad

Post by gad »

TYE wrote:
gad wrote:
Todays compounds will still shoot around 300fps with 60# draw weights.
Tye, do you have any personal preferences on compound bows? What you would recomend as the first compound?
wabi

Post by wabi »

GAD,
No advice to offer on choice of compound, as I' not a compound owner, but I have shot compounds a few times. I shoot traditional bows in the 50# weight range with my bad shoulder (had to sell all the 60 - 70# bows) and I find I can easily draw a 70# compound for a few shots. I can draw one in the 60# range for many shots, though. I'd probably get one in the 70# weight and back off the limbs to 60 - 65# to start off if I were going to get one.
wabi
gad

Post by gad »

wabi wrote:GAD,
No advice to offer on choice of compound, as I' not a compound owner, but I have shot compounds a few times. I shoot traditional bows in the 50# weight range with my bad shoulder (had to sell all the 60 - 70# bows) and I find I can easily draw a 70# compound for a few shots. I can draw one in the 60# range for many shots, though. I'd probably get one in the 70# weight and back off the limbs to 60 - 65# to start off if I were going to get one.
I think I can easily drawn one 70 pounds. I know a guy here in the city that has one with 70 pounds. I will check just if I can drawn the bow.