Hoyt Alphatec - Lookin for some bow expertise

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wilsonj73

Hoyt Alphatec - Lookin for some bow expertise

Post by wilsonj73 »

Sorry guys I know this is the Excalibur forum and I'm the proud owner of an Exomag but I know many of you have a great deal of knowledge about bows of all types.

I'm interested in what info anyone can provide as to the quality and whether I got a deal on this...

I just bought a used Hoyt Alphatec that fits me like a glove for draw length, etc.

It is 70 lbs draw, camo, has the command cams, PSE fibre optic sights, scott release, sims stabilizer and limb savers, etc. 85% relief

It came with a hard case, 20 alum arrows (10 premade for the bow), bow press, quiver, forearm guard, tuning tools, and a whole kit with the supplies for making arrow with the fletchings, etc.

As it is right now, he says it is totally set up for hunting right now... I'll be taking it out tonight for some target practice.

The guy I bought it from apologized that his original asking price of $600 cdn included broadheads that he sold to a buddy so he sold it to me for $500.

To me it seemed a screamin deal... lookin for input.

Also... he suggested that I use mechanicals first becasue fixed broadheads will plane until I get used to tuning my arrows etc.

I thought of going with the 100 gr Wasps, the same as my Exomag.... any other suggestions or comments I can glean from ya?

I'm new to vert bow hunting and so please excuse my questions if they seem silly.

Thanks guys... I know I havn't posted for a while but I'm still here.

Jon
Give a kid a fish and they'll eat for a day, teach a kid to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime!
Butt

Post by Butt »

That's one sweeeeet deal. :shock: :wink:
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Nothing wrong with that deal, wilson

You should be laughing!....
Ontario Trophy Bucks
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Hey, wilson.

Try shooting the Slick Trick broadheads or the G-5 Montecs, you shouldn't get much planning from them broadheads. I know both of them heads shoot just like my field points do with my Hoyt Vtec.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
wilsonj73

Post by wilsonj73 »

Thanks Lonewolf, I'll be going to the shop today so I'm gonna look for some and give em a try.

I took the bow out last night and it's everything he said it was... sited in and lots of speed and power... I'm pretty happy.

:lol: On the lighter side... on my second shot I over extended my elbow and the string bit me... PAIN :shock:

Needless to say... lesson learned :oops:

But for not having shot much bow in a very long time, I'm getting a 6 inch grouping on the bull at 30 yards...

Practice practice and more practice :wink:

Thanks again guys!
Give a kid a fish and they'll eat for a day, teach a kid to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wilsonj73 that was a super deal on the BOW fer sure, LoneWolf is correct on the BH's try them and I do think you will like how the fly.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!