Monopod Support

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tee

Monopod Support

Post by Tee »

After sighting-in my Phoenix at the local range, I realized that to properly sight it in, I needed better support to steady the crossbow. No bench supports are avaiable - it is an outdoor range. In thinking about the problem, I remembered a camera monopod I got from my Dad years back. In thinking about it I realized that it could adapted quite easily as a monopod for the crossbow using the front sling attach point under the stock between the two screws for the riser.

Materials:
1. 1/2 inch diameter AL stock, approximately 1 inch in length.
2. 8-32 set screw. I used this size since I had one and it had the added benefit that one of the allen wrenches from the crossbow kit fit the set screw.
3. Allen wrench with a diameter to fit into the sling attachment point. I used a 3 mm allen wrench.

Drill and tap one end of the AL cylinder for the monopod mount. This is 1/4-20 on all camera mounts I have used.

Drill and tap about 1/3 to 1/2 up from the end dilled for the camera mount for the set screw.

Drill another hole at the same height and at 90 degrees from the set screw for the allen wrench that will fit into the sling attachment point.

Bend the long side of the allen wrench 90 degrees so that the wrench is now a capital 'U'.

Insert on leg of the 'U' into the hole drilled or the allen wrench and set using the set screw.

Mount the jig on the monopod using the 1/4-20 screw, set the monopod for the desired height, insert the other leg of the allen wrench into the sling attachment point at the front of the crossbow (after cocking the crossbow :D ) and you now have a monopod rest for the crossbow.

I had all of the materials in the garage (it pays to be a packrat sometimes) and it took me maybe an hour to finish the jig for the monopod crossbow rest.

The advantage of using the camera monopod is that they make those very light and so carrying it is a snap. The jig weighs all of maybe an ounce and is small enough to fit in your pocket is necessary.

Just in case anybody else wants a monopod rest and already has a camera monpod.
If you are alwys rushing to the future,
Then you never have any NOW.
rwk

pod

Post by rwk »

If yu can show a pic. Thanks Rich
Tee

Monopod Support

Post by Tee »

I would show a pic except that this forum requires that the image reside at another URL, i.e., another web site. For some reason, this forum s/w doesn't allow attaching an image directly to a forum response. Other forums I have used allow attaching a pic directly to a response and then uploads the image from my computer to the forum server for transmission and display.

At least that is what I deduced in trying to show a pic. If someone has a web site and wouldn't mind allocating the space for the pic with an address, I can email the pic and then post a response with the URL of the pic. I have scanned the pic and it is only 17.8 KB.
Digger

Post by Digger »

http://photobucket.com

Go to photobucket , join for free. put you pics there , then download.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Tee

Monopod Support

Post by Tee »

Sigh - another user name and password to manage :roll:

Okay - the registration process was painless enough.

Here is a picture of the jig:

I made the jig in about an hour using only hand tools - drill, file, hacksaw, and tap - I was more interested in getting something to see if it works than in getting a polished product. It works and I'll probably use it as is rather than try to make a more professional looking jig with good right angles, etc.

I'm hoping the picture shows. I tried the preview button, but the image didn't come up. I copied the URL from the photrobucket site again and it still didn't show.

Tee
Tee

Monopod Support

Post by Tee »

Tried another browser and the picture came up - so I think you can probably see it now.