homemade stand and other pics

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

homemade stand and other pics

Post by chris4570 »

I made this stand Friday after work. Took about an hour to fab about two hours to prime and paint. It's very solid. And quite secure. It is held to the tree by two ratchet straps and sits on a bracket that has four lag bolts going into the tree. The chain is to, hopefully, prevent it from being stolen. The pic was taken from the deer trail where I shot my buck from last year.

The fog was real thick this morning, and the heavy dew made for some nice spider and web pics.

Well camoflaged wood frog.

trail cam pic, one of very few deer pics I managed to get this year.
ImageImage[/img]
Last edited by chris4570 on Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
saxman

Post by saxman »

Is that a stand of your own design?
Looks like it would work fine
What a shame we have to chain our stands up to protect them from OTHER HUNTERS and ANTI'S
Live and let live I say
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

saxman wrote:Is that a stand of your own design?
I got the bracket idea while scouting for turkey this past spring. Someone else had used one. The rest of the stand I kind of winged it.

Here's another pic of the stand from a different shooting lane.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"It CAN Be Done!"
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I've actually seen one of those bracket's, by one of our stands, looked very old, must be the same one you saw.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Cool pic's Chris ! ... Nice stand to !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
John Wade

Tree Damage

Post by John Wade »

I know it's done all the time for maple sap but I don't know if going as deep as is needed to shore up a tree stand makes a difference. As far as I know all the action sap wise is going on just inside the bark layer, the rest is essentially dead wood. True? Does it matter the type or size of tree? How long bolts should I be using? Is there any way of using a "proprietary" head on a bolt to make theft essentially impossible for an unequipped thief?

jw
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
chris4570

Re: Tree Damage

Post by chris4570 »

John Wade wrote:I know it's done all the time for maple sap but I don't know if going as deep as is needed to shore up a tree stand makes a difference. As far as I know all the action sap wise is going on just inside the bark layer, the rest is essentially dead wood. True? Does it matter the type or size of tree? How long bolts should I be using? Is there any way of using a "proprietary" head on a bolt to make theft essentially impossible for an unequipped thief?

jw

I used 5/16" x 2 1/2" lags. There was plenty of bite. I don't think one could go wrong with a longer bolt, but I wouldn't go any shorter than 2 1/2". I want to make sure I'm in good and solid.

I'm sure one could make a proprietary head. Even a reverse thread would throw most would-be thieves off.

"It CAN Be Done!"
M&M

Post by M&M »

My brother got ahold of some warehouse rack material and we are in the process of building a elevated blind out of it most of the stuff we got for free it is about 9ft long and about 40inches wide for the side panels we talked to a guy that has a garage door business he had a pile of old door sections out back and told us to help ourselves we found all we wanted and get this 9ft wide panels they fit in perfectly this thing is gonna be the bomb so keep your eyes open and you never know what you can find to use. M&M
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looks like it should work fine!
wabi