Sonic broadhead disappointment

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bryceville

Sonic broadhead disappointment

Post by Bryceville »

:( First Day of bow season this past saturday, saw a beautiful doe, 20 yard shot, arrow went completely through, watched her run off, saw where she went into the woods and recovered arrow that was from end to end covered with blood. I could find no blood from the deer, and myself along with three other people searched for 2 hours, and could find no blood trail, going into the woods in various places up to 200 yards. I was shooting a 125 grain sonic broad head, and could only guess that the wound sealed up. I know she would die, just could not find her, so I went to the sporting goods store and got some crimson cuda mechanicals ( 3 blade, 1 3/4 inch cut), to try out. Anyone else have this experience with the sonics?
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

You may have hit her high. The buck I hit last fall with a pass through went over a km before dropping and no blood trail. Sorry to hear about the loss. It does happen. Hopefully, you can learn something from the experience.

How long did you give her after the shot? If you don't find a blood trail near the hit, then you should back out and give it a few hours. A hit deer will usually bed down within 100 yards and expire if not pushed.

Just some thoughts.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
terry-1

shot

Post by terry-1 »

Sounds like a poor hit it happens to all of us. I watched a friend make about the same shot on a 8Pt buck we never could find him. Next year I killed the buck same area with 3 blade broadhead scars coming and going where we saw the arrow hit the buck the year before. The good thing was he was a 13pt the year I shot him and nows hangs on my wall! :D
Bryceville

Post by Bryceville »

Your opinions sound 100% accurate. She did indeed run with tail held high, and the blood was bright red that was on the arrow. I was in a 12 ft ladder stand, and I may have caught the leg or shoulder. I have seen no buzzards in the area, so hopefully she did live.
Bryceville

Post by Bryceville »

Went hunting this A.M., and with help from my nose and the buzzrds, found the doe. She was pretty far gone due to the scavangers, but she had only gone about 150 yards from where I shot her. We did not find her as she doubled back on the trail where I saw her go into the woods, going back in the opposite direction. I guess the wound did seal itself up, as she died real close to where I shot her, and due to no blood trail, and no access to a deer dog, we had no idea of what she had done. I have never seen a wounded deer double back before, so this was a learning experience.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Sorry to hear about you loss my Florida brother.
These swamp deer are tough.
Maybe she'll turn up
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
mfh

Post by mfh »

Sorry you lost that meat. That always makes your gut sink. I thought I was in trouble with the doe I took last weekend. I shot her at 20yds, the shaft was bloody, but not frothy not bight red not brown like a gut shot. Sorta a cross of all them...anyways, there was a light blood trail - which did not start for over 50yds. It then went on, up hill and then down tand then back up, down a ravine where I finally found her - over 300 yards from where I shot her. And that was a double lung shot. Chekced both when I dressed her - clear through both....I still can not believe she went that far.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

300 yards? Good night!

You'd better duct tape the meat packages together and put a chain around the freezer ... a doe that tough just might reassemble and come after you!

Grizz