Distance after the shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tkstae

Distance after the shot

Post by tkstae »

I'm curious. I've been lucky enough to take three deer in the past three years and the distance that they have traveled after the shot was no more than 10yds. One was a spine shot do to poor shot placement on my part. The other two were good shots. I knocked a doe off her feet at 10yds with a broadside lung shot, she never got up again. The other was the 8pt. I shot a few days ago. I was 20ft. up, and hit him high on his side and the arrow traveled down into his lungs. He was knocked off his feet as well. I thought I hit him in the spine so I put another thru his lungs, but after checking him out when I processed him I found that my slick trick missed his spine by a good four inches. I shoot the Exocet with Wasps or Slick Tricks. Is this normal? What has been your experience as far as the distance your deer has traveled after being hit with your Excalibur with a normal hit? Thanks for your time. Tom
A.W

Post by A.W »

It could be that the deer died of shock and that's why it dropped.

I don't know if this is in any way related but there was a study done a number of years ago about police officers dying of none-lethal wounds.

The findings were that the individual basically beleived themselves to die. Kind of like, "I've been shot therefor I will die." They allowed themselves to die. Could be somewhat the same principle.

Maybe I'm just rambling here.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've shat a lot of deer with a bow, and I've never had one fall or drop on the spot! Most double lung hits travel 20 to 60 yards, a liver hit buck went about 50 yards, and a heart-lung hit went 40 or 50 yards.
wabi
Masterhunter

Post by Masterhunter »

Only deer I've ever had drop right then & there have been gun kills. All the deer I've taken with the bow & Xbow have traveled between 20-40 yards. I must not be doing something right.
Big John

distance after shot

Post by Big John »

Most Deer I've shot have travelled about 30 to 75 yds. after a good shot in the boiler room. However a couple that I took from the stand, shot directly into the spine, didn't go"3" feet. When you are high up in the tree, I think it is it is hard to get a heart and double lung shot from the angle. But you can easily take one lung or heart as it passes through and out the bottom of chest. This is especially true if they are close because of the incline. However if they are out to 25 or 30 yds you could achieve a double lung shot more easily.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Most of mine have traveled 40 to 60 yards with the Bow. I have dropped 3 in their tracks though. Two spine shots from out of the tree and 1 double lung shot from the ground and I never will understand why he dropped like that. He was 10 yards out and when I shot him he went straight down and I got up and walked to him and he was stone cold dead already.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Only dropped on in her tracks. Hit high and caught the spine, otherwise I've tracked them 40 to 1200 yards. Arrowed a freak of a buck last year that went over a kilometer before dropping.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Thanks for the input guys. With very little experience I was just puzzled as to what was going on. It may never happen again for all I know. Tom
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

mine went 50 yards, but with my compound they usually didnt make it 10yards since they never knew what hit them. With the xbow being loud, most jump and go not knowing what happened. The one I got this year went farther because he knew I was there and heard the xbow big time
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Most of the ones I've killed with the compound went less than 10 yards, had one travel 60 yards(longest). Mostly because they were close shots with a good POI. My compound is quite and packs a heavy hit with the 70 pound pull. The Exomax is louder, for sure.

I'm anxious to compare the xbow against my compound experience. I'll begin that journey next Wednesday. Can't wait!! Hitting the bullseye in the backyard is getting boring. HA!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
WRC

Travel Distance

Post by WRC »

Ihave 4 drop on the spot, the rest have been like Ecocoaster's
Roy
navaman

Post by navaman »

i read a theory in a hunting magazine a couple of years ago. the writers idea is that if an arrow or bullet hits the animal at the precise moment of a heartbeat it will drop. there's only One that truly knows and He ain't told me yet. i did see a west texas pronghorn drop between 25 and 30 yds. it was shot with an excalibur. 20" carbon with a 100 grain montec :wink:
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."