I Don't Have Cable TV or Satellite!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'm with you . . .if it's brown it's down is my motto too. Every buck is a shooter buck!!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

It's all about the trophy-hunting phenomenon, and the industry that has sprung up around antlers.

Rent some current hunting videos, and you'll hear that phraseology whispered into remote microphones:

"That one's a shooter!"
"There's a shooter!"
"Here comes a shooter buck!"

In many cases, this is uttered after lots of deer up to 150 class have walked by already ... and what do we learn from this?

1. These guys are hunting in controlled situations, on land we can't afford.
2. These guys are out there to make a video that will sell, above all else.
3. These guys are professional trophy hunters. They are not us.
4. These guys do not exist in our reality.

Are there exceptions? Sure, I suppose there are. But these are observable truths, aren't they?

I don't know what to think sometimes. Hunting isn't what it used to be, in many ways. It has special lingo now, it has fashion clothing with matching accessories, it has caste divisions ("Trophy-hunters" and "Meat-hunters"), and it has definite snobbery ... and robbery! Look at what it costs to hunt lately!

Besides, when it comes to "Shooter Bucks," it's also true that a great many of them fall to the efforts of men who never saw them before they stepped into view, never knew they were around, and never expected to kill such an animal ... lots of times, it's just pure happenstance, or providence, or "luck" ... take your philosophical pick.

Are there exceptions? Sure. Sometimes. But that's an observable truth, isn't it?

Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've never passed a "shooter buck" yet.
A shooter buck is any deer within range that offers a good shot angle!
Adult does also qualify in my hunts. :wink:
And I just bought a new package deal from the cable TV company a month or two ago. High speed internet - telephone service with no additional long distance charges to the USA, Canada, And Puerto Rico - and "digital" cable with almost 200 channels. I use the internet and telephone and have yet to watch any of the new cable channels. (but I had to take them to get the rest of the service and the "package" deal is really cheap)
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

I do not have the kills you guy's do,only the one doe but I am as excited about that deer as I would be a record book deer.
I agree with you all,to much hype about horns.
These deer are all God's Trophies.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

people have said it here before, antler soup isn't that good :lol:
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

This was the first year that I passed on a buck. Had a 4pt and a 6pt come in under my stand at first light on the first morning. They passed at 5 yards. Could have easily taken either, but I didn't want to end the season too quickly. I like to try to see what's in the woods. I enjoy having the excuse to get out into the woods in the fall, so I don't want to tag out too early.

That said, any buck is now a shooter buck :twisted: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
chessy

Post by chessy »

deer that have horns never saw one before. (saxman deer dont have horns they have antlers. i tried to curve my american hunting friends.. but my buddie in va that i hunt with still calls em horns... to this day i have never saw a deer with horns :lol: :lol:

that said .. any deer specially a nice young doe is far better tasting than a dirty old buck and i am a meat hunter
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Shooter buck or trophy deer. Trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Any and every deer can be a trophy, we just don't need to get built up in the hype of what we see on TV. I've never had a hunt go as smooth as how they make it on TV. Do I like shooting big deer? ah-yes. But I like shooting does too, big and small. Someone posted a video not long ago about paying big money to shoot deer in the high fence pens. If thats what people think that it takes to shoot a "shooter buck" I would quit hunting. That video was very disturbing and it shows what peoples mindset is to be able to pay 15-20 thousand to shoot a penned deer. Thats not hunting!!!
Why ride when you can walk!
wabi

Post by wabi »

deer that have horns never saw one before. (saxman deer dont have horns they have antlers. i tried to curve my american hunting friends..
I usually refer to them as "big horny bucks" - they're the easiest ones to kill. :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

I've yet to see a recipe for horn, If you think I'm dragging anything I can't eat back to the truck think again.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Come on guys, The movement these days to let the little ones walk is not a product of big industry or rich trophy hunters that can afford the opportunity. For many years now, probably as long as people have hunted, big bucks have been revered as trophies because they are the biggest, oldest, most reclusive, and smartest deer in the woods. They are hard to find and even harder to kill so they not only look awesome but they often say something about the hunters skill level and integrity. Face it, every hunter rich or poor, values big bucks and dreams of getting one. How many of you have dreamed about getting a state or world record buck and all of the fortunes that come with it? You probably have better chances of winning the lottery but it's fun to dream right?

Imagine yourself sitting on your stand one day and seeing a beautifull doe coming your way. You ready your bow and prepare yourself for her arrival. She gets 40 yards out. Only 5 to 10 more yards and she's yours. Then she stops and looks behind her. You change your focus to see what she's looking at and it's a monster ten point coming up on her tracks fast. He gets up to her and she trots to ten yards from your stand with him on her heels. They both stop broadside, right in front of you. What do you do? You have tags for both. 9.999 times out of ten you will shoot the buck. Why? Because the buck is more of a trophy, he is the same as the doe but he has great antlers to boot. You have seen a hundred does so far in the season and will see many more but you may never see that buck again. Hunters have always wanted nice bucks not because the profesionals constantly shoot them on TV but because they are so rare. The guys on TV only shoot them because they know thats what the public wants and that it will sell, as long as we can't get them ourselves.

People have been debating for ever about what it takes for an area to produce big bucks. They have said its nutrition from food, minerals from soil, genetics, population numbers, buck to doe ratio, age, etc. These days, common belief says it is a little of all these factors and a lot of one. That one main factor is age. A buck will never reach his full potential unless he is old enough. When you go out and shoot "anything brown" you are intentionaly robbing your fellow hunters and maybe yourself of a great opportunity for the future. If you are a meat hunter (which is a wonderfull thing to be) go out and shoot meat, not antlers. There are so many more does in the forest than bucks that you shouldn't have a problem plus they taste better.

I can understand shooting anything if you are new to hunting and not very skilled, or if you only have a few days to hunt and need meat, or if your starving and poor, or old or disabled and can't get a giant deer out of the woods by yourself. That however is no excuse for most of you. Most of the people here are very compitent hunters and therefore should have no problems finding a big doe to shoot. I have no respect for those of you who feel the need to shoot something everytime you go out no matter what it's size. That says to me that you are a lazy slob that doesn't respect your fellow hunters and that you don't enjoy being outdoors or hunting. You only like killing, and that is something I will never understand or agree with. You are giving the anti's more ammunition against us everytime you shoot a baby. I consider every living thing (no matter what it is or how big) a trophy because it lost it's life to give life to me, my family, and friends. Therefore it deserves my utmost respect. I believe we should give our quary the respect of letting them grow to maturity first so that they can have a taste of life and a chance to learn about the dangers of man and therefore a better chance to escape us and live to see another day. That is truly a trophy to me because it took skill, patience, hard work, ethics, empathy, etc. to get that deer. It takes none of these to shoot a baby, only a thirst for blood and no concious.

So to sum up this long, poorly written rant, Shooter bucks or shooter does are words that I welcome into my vocabulary with open arms. They seperate the deer into categories because they should be. Not all deer are the same and they never will be. If meat hunters only shot does or mature bucks and the slobs out there shot only mature does or bucks and everyone left the babies alone. Then we should all be happy. There would be giant bucks running around everywhere for everyone to have a chance at. Those horrible pay to hunt deer cages would lose buisness and popularity and the TV shows would have to change their formats to include more interesting and helpfull topics and episodes. All the meat hunters would have freezers full of tender yummy doe. The anti's would not be able to bitch about cruelty to babies. Trophy hunters would have more chewy meat in the freezer and big racks on the wall. Everyones happy :D :D :D What is wrong with that idea? These days, shooting big bucks is a thing for the rich and I hate it, but it doesn't have to be that way if everyone could just get along and cooperate.
Last edited by LV2HNT on Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Heck you can fool me, deer look their best in a dutch oven. If I knew how to make that fancy camera I bought the boss for her last birthday I would post a picture of my trophy room for all to see. But what the heck if you seen one freezer you've seen them all.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I give the majority of the meat I get to a needy family. I don't get many days to hunt, I would feel bad if I passed up on the deer I see, looking for the trophy and I don't fill their freezer.

Besides . . .they are asking way too much to mount those horns now-a-days. I get two trophy bucks like Doug and I'm out $1000 . . . .might better let them pass, too expensive. HA!!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

That's a good point. Most guys can't hunt every week or the majority of the season due to other commitments. If a fella can hunt when ever he wants for as long as he wants then he may feel comfortable passing on smaller deer.

Personally, I'm torn. I'd love to outsmart a monster buck, but I don't want a deer that is like shoe leather to eat.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Can you say Borax 20 mule team laundry soap. Boil that head with horns and do a western mount, mount on a hardwood plywood sheet cut how ever you like and hang it on the wall. Use your old camp stove, turkey fryer pot in the back yard to boil the head. You don't need the jaw. Looks great on dark walnut hanging from the wall. Cost less than a box of factory loads to do it and you don't have to wait for months to get it back from the guy you are paying through the nose to do the work.