43%
between 30 and 40 yards
No votes
more than 40
10%

Total votes: 49

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout . . .you should just take a hunting knife! Ha! On that close of a shot, did your arrow leave the string before hitting that deer? How did you get enough energy to penetrate?

Most of the deer I've taken have been 20-25 yard shots. Never took one under ten yards, taken a few in the 40-50 yard range.

I touched a small button buck once, but didn't take the shot. He still doesn't know I touched him. That was cool.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Maybe I'm wrong on this but, to me, a super close shot tells me the shooter is an excellent hunter. He or she penetrated the defenses of the animal. That takes skill.

Wrong forum for atlatls....illegal here as far as I know.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I've only shot one buck so far this season, and it was taken at 15 yards with a traditional bow shooting instinctively.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D First one 47 yards broad side head down. second one 33 yards quartering away head down, neither went more than 15 yards, Love that MAX
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

There are two views and both work out fine for the "hunter". Marksmanship is just as important as the ability to find your prey. Getting within 10 feet of your prey is great if you can hit it from 10 feet. On the other hand, there's no need to be able to make a 1000 yard shot if you can't find your prey.

I have always enjoyed getting close to deer. It is definitely a thrill. The type of hunting will dictate, to a large degree, how close you will get to a whitetail deer. I do a lot of stalking and it's definitely a challenge to get in less than 10 yards. However, it's much easier getting close if you are in a blind or a tree . . .how much talent does it take to keep quiet? Most of the "hunting" in that case is where you place your stand. Or where you place your bait. When I was a kid, I hunted woodchuck/groundhog in the summers and that's when I practiced getting close. I had a Colt, bolt action, .22, shorty . . .I had to get close. Sneaking around the farm during the summers gave me a lot of practice stalking the deer. I wasn't hunting or shooting . . .just loved to watch the deer and get as close as I could until they raised tail and ran.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

BStout,

I agree with that. I've always been far more impressed by the guys who can pull off the close encounters. If you think about all the deer you've taken, those are the memorable ones. They get your heart pumping just a little faster.

This survey has given me pause for thought though. My preconceived notion was that most deer were take under 20, as is generally the case when hunting with a long or compound bow. I'm surprised by the numbers between 20 and 30. I'll have to modify my practice accordingly. Keep the numbers coming boys. This is good information.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Me: Doe @ 20, button buck @ 10, spike @ 30, 6-pt @ 25.

My son: button buck @ 30 and a doe @ 25.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I've shot them as close as 10 and as far as 40yds. with my Exomag.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

Taken deer from 7 to 50 yards.
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

First doe 20 yrds broadside, second doe 9 yrds quartering away and a black bear 15 yrds broadside, all with an exocet 175.
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
Big John

shot distance

Post by Big John »

Seems to me that Deer read my zone or something. Every Deer I've taken with a Crossbow were from stands, and always at the same 20 to 30 or so yd. range. Could be me though just waiting for them to wander into that zone. :) I't s my comfort zone from High stands. Shot gun on the other is a different story, 80 to 120 yds. is the norm.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Shot gun - 75 - 100yds im comfortable. Most times i set up close to trails though with crossbow and most of my shots have been within 20yds but my exocet has no problem taking a deer at 30!
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

25 yds with a rifle :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It would have been impossible for the arrow to leave the string before hitting the deer.

Hold your arrow at full draw up against a target butt. The arrow will penetrate the target.

What would you expect to happen?
bstout . . .I would expect that the moment that you started "pushing" that arrow into the deer that it would either kick you in the teeth or run. Possibly both. I say "pushing" because, from one inch away, you are pushing not shooting. With the arrow still in the string, it would be very hard to control penetration deep enough into the chest of a deer to kill it. That would take some real strength. Not saying that you aren't strong enough, but, I ain't buying what you are selling. :lol: :lol: :lol: I do like the story. :wink: I'll pass on holding an arrow an inch from the target and letting go. That's just dangerous.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

7 yds, 15 yds, 30 yds, 35 yds