First time out with my new Exocet...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ohiohunter

First time out with my new Exocet...

Post by Ohiohunter »

First time out sighting in the new crossbow and I have a question.
I have a Exocet with the Vari-Zone scope. I'm shooting the GT LII"S with a 100 grain Field tips. I went to sight it in a 20 yards per the instructions and everything looked good. I was shooting groups of 5 all touching each other in the center of the target.
I moved over to 30 yards and I was shooting about 4 to 5 inches high. So I moved over to 40 yards to see what I would get. At 40 yards I was about the same, 4 to 5 inches high.
This was using the second and third triangles on the Vari-zone scope.
I thought I might try to sight it in at 40 yards and work my way back but that didn't work either.

I guess my question is, any idea's? Is this typical? This is my first time shooting a cross bow and I was using a table as a bench.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Matt
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

Sight in your bow at 20 yards. Move back to 50 yards and take few shots. See if your groups are high or low and adjust with your speed ring on your scope. If you are shooting high at 50 yards move the speed ring to a higher numbers, if you are shooting low - lower the number. After you do this all other points (chevrons) should be set.
Darz Bór!
Ohiohunter

???

Post by Ohiohunter »

I thought the speed rings where for focus only?
wabi

Post by wabi »

The speed ring is to adjust your scope to match the speed of the bow. The eyepiece bell of the scope is for focus.
wabi
Ohiohunter

I see now.....

Post by Ohiohunter »

Sorry for all the newbie A$$ questions. My eye piece was froze and didn't move, but a little pair of pliers helped me out. I'll try this at the range tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help guys,
Matt
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I would be careful about sighting it in at 20 and then 50, if the speed dial is way off you may miss the target all together. I like to start at 20 to zero out the main cross hair, then use 30 to set the speed dial up initially. Then fine tune it with 40 and 50 yard shots. May keep you from sending a bolt off into the unknown regions.

Good luck.
Ohiohunter

I suck...

Post by Ohiohunter »

Shurite,

Thanks for the info, that exactly what I did. In the end the speed dial was my problem. I guess thats what I get for rushing around and not reading all the instructions. :(

Now all I have to do is get a better arrow/broad head combo to tighten up my groups. At 30 yards, I getting about 4 to 5 inch groups.

Thanks again for the replies.
Matt
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I had the same problems when I started out, since then I have learned a few tricks, and now have a very consistent shot.
1. Before even trying to do a 50 yard shot you need to level your scope, I used a 4' level, leveled it at 20 yards and used a 6 inch on my bow, when the two line up, tighten it.
2. Skip the horizontal adjustment and use a piece of electrical tape to fine tune your speed dial, lay it horizontally on the target and shoot away! Don't worry about left or right yet, you speeds dial has no bearing on that (provided your scope is level).
3. Add some weight to those arrows (obviously before setting the scope up), I took the aluminum inserts out of the bolt and put in brass ones, that cleaned up my groups from 5" to touching vanes at every yardage, in every wind as well as quited down the bow.
I have only been at this for a few weeks, but with help from a patient member I used these tricks along with many others to perfect my accuracy. I could print his Pm's and make a book that would simplify this art beyond belief, but I won't :D .
Good luck and be patient.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

My arrows are 345 grains and they shoot better than any other bolt I have tried. If you have a good flying broad head I don't think heavier arrows are necessary.

For you guys trying to keep your speeds up try the nitron 100 grain. I know it made a difference on my accuracy. I used 3 and 4 bladed muzzy's in 100 and 125 grain on beeman thunderbolts and ten point carbons, my new combo with 245 grain gold tip carbon's, 5 inch vane, and 100 grain nitron's is the flattest, fastest and most accurate bolt I have tried so far.

50 yards 1.5 inch bulls eye, three shots 1 dead center, one touching the bulls eyes and one about 3 inches high and to the right of dead center. This is on an 04 200 lbs exomag with the varizone.

I believe the main problem with accuracy with lighter bolts is the broad head used will not fly properly at the high speeds. So far the only one I have used that can handle 330 fps + is the nitron. But like I said I have only shot the muzzy's and the nitron. But even the muzzy's will group 6 inches at 40 yards, so that is not bad.