Looks like I'll have a chance to eat more venison..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Looks like I'll have a chance to eat more venison..

Post by wabi »

...if Ohio's proposed regulations pass, and I'm reading them right. Read somewhere theat Ohio had proposed an increase in allowable deer for the 07/08 season so I looked it up on the ODNR website, and it sounds like they have in fact proposed an increase.
Under the proposal, hunters could buy additional antlerless deer permits, currently known as urban deer permits, at reduced prices for hunting in an urban zone, participating in a controlled hunt, or hunting during the September 29 to November 25 portion of the archery season. The antlerless deer permit would cost $15 and be good for doe deer only.

Archery hunters would be required to purchase a regular deer permit before purchasing the antlerless deer permits. Using the proposed permit system, hunters could take up to one additional antlerless deer in Zone A, up to two additional antlerless deer in Zone B and up to three additional antlerless deer in Zone C. Use of the antlerless deer permit during the first part of the archery season would not count against the hunter’s zone bag limit
If this passes it would mean that I can take an additional 3 antlerless deer between Sept 29 and Nov 25 in my zone (C), and the cost would only be $15. per permit. Guess I'd better buy a bigger freezer! :lol:
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Ever try canning it, Wabi?

It's really good ... you can come home, dump it in a pan, heat it up and make some gravy with the broth ... goes good over biscuits or rice or mashed 'taters. Offers variety and convenience.

We've canned a lot of it off and on.
Grizz
Normous

Post by Normous »

:) Keep those broadheads sharp :)
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

It's about time! The doe population here is out of control and the measures that ODNR have taken so far are woefully inadequate. I continue to watch bucks respond less every year to grunt calls, rattling, etc., as a result of so many does being available to them.

Last night I counted 19 does in my front yard and this is not an unusual occurrence. It is only going to get worse.

The ODNR will have a booth at the Ohio Deer & Turkey Expo in Columbus next week. I encourage anyone who attends to stop by their booth and tell them how strongly you favor this new proposal.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Ever try canning it, Wabi?

It's really good ... you can come home, dump it in a pan, heat it up and make some gravy with the broth ... goes good over biscuits or rice or mashed 'taters. Offers variety and convenience.

We've canned a lot of it off and on.
One of those things I keep wanting to try, but putting it off. I have all the equipment to do it, but somehow I end up just putting the meat in the freezer. If the new regs pass, and I get lucky enough to stick an arrow in a doe, I might get to try the canning this year. Any good recipes you'd recommend?
wabi
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Mike P wrote:The ODNR will have a booth at the Ohio Deer & Turkey Expo in Columbus next week. I encourage anyone who attends to stop by their booth and tell them how strongly you favor this new proposal.
Good advice Mike, the regs aren't passed yet so let your voice be heard.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
M&M

Post by M&M »

I believe the proposed 3 extra tags are archery only which is just fine with me!!! M&M
BryanOney

Post by BryanOney »

I am just south of a 1 deer county. That would be Erie county that is one deer. I am in Huron county. There were even a ton of deer up here this year. I cannot believe the number of deer hit on the road. I think thye need thinned.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bryan,
The way I'm reading it that means you could take 2 does in your zone (B) with the new antlerless permits, then another doe with a regular tag, then another doe or buck with your second regular tag.
wabi
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I also live in huron county but also hunt in erie county. Because they are different zones, I can take one in erie and two in huron, and an extra 2 or 3 if the new regs go through.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
mfh

Post by mfh »

That is the one great thing in VA. At least where I am...the season runs through the end of March. I already have 9 harvested between the wife and I, but still the deer are so thick, I wish they allowed hunting on Sundays.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I hope it works out better for you guys than it has worked here in VA. Deer populations where I go are at an all time low. Game and fish has made it possible to shoot as many deer as you want or way more than you should ever need. That means public areas like the place I go are almost wiped out from idiots that believe there is a population problem and it is their job to help by shooting 15+ deer every year. Meanwhile the private owned land and residential areas that nobody has permssion to, or is allowed to, hunt get even more crowded which means more accidents because they are all in the suburbs and covered with roads. The more accidents there are, the more tags we get and the more the seasons get extended, which means even more deer killed from public areas with low populations and still no or very few deer killed in the places where there is a problem. It's an endless cycle that is responsible for the worst hunting I have ever seen in 25 years.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Country

Post by Country »

I use to shoot five deer a year but stopped as I had to eat deer meat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner to consume it all by the beginning of the next season. Three deer is just about right for the family but getting three deer now is a real problem as the state now allows one to harvest as many as they want as long as you pay the $20 per deer fee. So now I run into people where I hunt complaining about the waneing deer population who I know have taken 15 to 20 deer a year for years. They say they are doing a service to the community by donateing it to "hunters for the hungry" but I am beginning to doubt that. You can donate deer but you have to pay the $60 butcher bill in most cases and then you have to buy another $20 permit. This probably explains the great number of deer I find dead in clearings with the arrow still in them. I think people are now just shooting them and not retrieving the kill. They have a habit of kind of parading around with the "I killed 20 deer already this year - aren't I a great hunter". a$$holes! There should be a special place for these folks in the afterlife.