Turkey: second day out and BBD

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

8 shot would kill one as long as he was under 25yards;) But I dont trust it penetrating the birds deep enough. I dont see 7.5shot killing one at 50 yards. Its hard enough for 4's to do that. But to each his own;)

goodluck when you hit the woods also man:)
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Congrats CF! Three great birds over two beautifull days. It couldn't get any better than that. Around here a 23 pound bird with an 11''+ beard is about as big as they get. What are you hoping to hold out for on the next one?
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I was after one bird that I missed last year. That fell into place this morning at 6:30am. I tagged out so I can only go and call for others now(cant carry gun of coarse). But anyway, this morning was my best hunt of the year and it ended with the bird ive been after but.. but.. his bird has almost fell off from breeding the hens. He had NO feathers at all on his belly and his spurs were beyond razor pointed sharp. I'd say he was a good 4-5 year old bird. He weighed 20 pounds. Ill post a pic later but they all look the same. What beard he had was 11inches long(only 3 strands). But these 3 were birds on fields I farm so I had seen them. Just didnt expect this to happen so well this season! It took me 12 years to finally figure out the do's and donts of turkey hunting. If anyone wants any advice the best I can give you is BE patient and dont move. Just setup and wait. If nothing shows in a hour's time then move. I use to get up and move to soon and the bird was right there.

anyway, im done shooting for the year so all I can do is go with a few buds and call. I can try to get my dad to fill his last 2 tags now also which is fine with me.

goodluck to everyone else 8)

oh and LV2, I wanted to enter a local contest but the same people win every year. They always bag 25-26 pounders someway. Some say they stuff them with weights. The biggest ove seen killed was 24 pounds and the biggest I killed was 23. On average they are 18-21 here as you know. I only heard 1 bird this morning also which was weird since it was awesome out!
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Hey CF, I was wrong. Four great birds in three days!! It can get better, Congrats. I am glad you tagged out because that means there will be a few left for me when I get out next. Good luck with the calling and try getting some video now that you can't do any shooting.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

If I can get my dad back out again then hopefully it will be 6 birds in 5 days :D but thats pushing LUCK lol.

A buddie wants me to call for him friday so ill probably head out then with him. He hasnt bagged one yet this year. It seems quite a few others have gotten 2 or their limits also. But also some have yet to see a bird. Its all about luck:)
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Hey Crazy,

Since I am new to turkey hunting I ask lots of questions. How much calling are you doing with how much silence in between? I didn't see anything today - my first day out. Never heard one gobble. I was using purrs and cuts for maybe 10 seconds or less with 4 or 5 minutes in between. Yah I understand - If you got a tom gobbling and coming in you just use little cuts to bring him in, but what to do if not seeing a thing? I can't move conveniently because I a wheelchair person and gotta get to the woods in my 6 wheeler and it is tough to camo that. So I know turkeys been in this valley behind my house, but just not today.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if you dont hear any gobbling in the tree before daybreak then its not much to do other than hope for luck. If I dont hear any gobble then ill move to a different woods.

as for calling.. if nothing going on ill try to put, purr, and yelp like I want to fight hoping to spark a gobble.

if I have one answering, then I only call enough to know where he's moving to. Once you hear him drumming usually 2-3 light yelps will bring him in the extra 20 yards

If he has hens, then I try to get him excited or get the hens excited by calling alot. If they are still moving away then its pointless but atleast you get to hear him gobble:)

some gobblers love alot of calling, while some dont. Its a guessing game since no 2 birds think the same:) that is what makes it fun
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I been getting to my blind about ten minutes before daybreak. Is that too late? Since I don't know chit about turkeys, I just kinda try to emulate chicken behavior where they purring along when they eating with occasional yelps with maybe five minutes of silence in between calls. I don't know.... I guess it will all come to me in the next ten years or so. It is quite relaxing being there to watch the woods wake up anyhow. Don't really matter that much if I get one. It's hunting and being out in it all that matters.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

congrats crazy, your hardwork has paid off.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Kenton wrote:congrats crazy, your hardwork has paid off.
thanks man.. but now im bored cause I cant shoot;) HAHAHHAAHAA
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Really nice looking birds.
Lucky Lar

Post by Lucky Lar »

Very nice bird!! :D