Turkeys getting hung up

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dschnarr

Turkeys getting hung up

Post by dschnarr »

Went out at noon today and as soon as I got to the bush I let out a soft yelp and right away one gobbles at me. So I put my hen decoy out and do another yelp and he lets of again so I stopped calling. Then all I hear is this hen yelping like crazy. She came ten yards from me, so I thought the tom was behind her but he didn't show. The hen walked of so I Moved closer to where the gobbling was coming from, let out another yelp and he starts up again. Then I stopped calling and he didn't show up. So we snuck out to come back tomorrow. What would you guys do in this case? This has happened two times to me this season. I'm getting frustrated!!!!!! :x :x
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

My friend told me if your in a boss toms territory and you hit the gobble tube it may just piss him off enough to come running in to worent off the intruder. It worked for me.
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

I HAVE HAD THAT PROBLEM,,, IF YOU CAN STICK IT OUT , JUST SIT TIGHT ,BECAUSE THE HENS WILL EVENTALLY WALK OFF & LEAVE THE TOM STRUTTING, WHEN THAT HAPPENS KEEP CALLING , THEN THE TOM WILL COME TO YOU. REMEMBER HE IS ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MORE HENS,,,,,MIDCROSSBOW IS RIGHT SOME TIMES A TOM CALL WILL BRING HIM IN,,,SOME TIMES A FIGHTING TOM CALL WILL BRING HIM IN A RUNNING, & SOME TIMES HE WILL GO THE OTHER WAY,,,THE LONSEM HEN CALL HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME,,,,,A WORD OF ADVISE, WHEN YOU THINK IT IS OVER & READY TO LEAVE,,,,,,,GIVE IT ANOTHER 30 MINUTE.
--GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT-- H.J.
they say he is still up there.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

The two I got this year came running in after a series of yelps and cutting would not budge the tom. What I found drove these two crazy was a short break in the calling and then some purrs. They came running in after they realized the hen was not coming to them.

Sometimes they will just not budge no matter what you do. Be careful with a gobble call, sometimes you will become the hunted if there is another hunter nearby.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

If you are sure there is no one else around, try doing a couple gobbles. This has worked for me in the past. Good luck.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

there is no exact answer for this first of all.. the best thing you can try and do is get to where he goes. Learn from what he does and be there waiting the next morning. Sometimes birds get hung up oneday and the next day out they walk right into your gun.

If he has hens, then its about a 90% chance he isnt going to brean and come to you. Even if he hears another gobble. Now if you can get him to see the decoy then he would probably walk in.

But my best bet would be to watch and listen to him and see where he goes through the woods or field edges. Get there early and wait. Only call a few times, enough to know where he is at and hopefully he will walk your way with the hens.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Keep at it ... you will get him ! ... I'm no expert , but I have been moving my decoy further away from me ( opposite direction I figure he is coming from ) ... I call in the direction of the decoy ... when and if he comes in and hangs up he is closer to me which has worked for me in the past .. I've been told that if you wait it out , and the Tom is with hens , he will eventually come looking for ya ... Good Luck
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
dschnarr

Post by dschnarr »

thanks for the help. I went out to the same spot this afternoon and the farmer was working the field. I looked up the edge of the field and two hens are coming straight at me so I jumped inside the bush. Did one yelp and a gobbler let off right behind the hens. So I waited , the hens are 5 feet away from me now . Then I see the tom. I could not shoot him :x The farmer was behind him :x .The tom was only 20 yrds away. Then he ran across a trail and went behind me still could not get a shot off. I let him go for tomorrow maybe I'll get lucky then. When I saw them I had no time to put out a decoy.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Last time it happened,[b] I moved on the turkey[/b]. Sneaked real slow (took me about 45 minutes to walk 200 yards), I stayed just behind the crest of a hill, stopped often and made like a hen while doing so. When I got within 100 yards of where I last heard the gobble, I set up and stopped calling entirely. It was more than they could stand, two came looking for me. They did not gobble while doing so.