arrows-aluminum or carbon fiber?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Tye . . .what is the story behind the pictures? It looks like a CX arrow . . .wasn't shot out of a crossbow, unless he was using the wrong nock. That's nasty.

Could/has anything like that happened with a crossbow? I would think it would be almost impossible with the position your your non-trigger hand under the rail. However, seems like all kinds of crazy things happen now a days.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

sumner4991 wrote:wabi and hatchet jack . . .just courious, what brand of carbon bolts were you using? I've shot some carbons into hard surfaces and didn't get a break or a crack. I'm sure they can and will break, just wondering if they were the thicker bolts or the thinner ones. I've shot the Gold Tip II's into trees and my board fence without issue. I have also had two aluminum arrows break off in deer . . .however, I didn't find fragments(One was a shot buried the upper neck bone, so I didn't look). Anyway, were these new bolts? Seems odd that a carbon bolt would break by being brushed against heavy foilage . I don't want to buy that brand either. Please advise.

Thanks.
I was using GoldTip Laser II. Also had problems with the inserts pulling out of them. Decided the old aluminums weren't all that bad to use even if I do bend and ruin one occassionally.
I use GrizzlyStik carbons with my traditional bows and have never broken one, but the trad bows don't generate near the speed and energy the crossbow does.
wabi
jay73

Post by jay73 »

I've got to agree with hatchet jack and wabi. Had one break in a deer and wasn't impressed. No carbon shards found however - just didn't want it to happen again, so I went back to alum. It wasn't a great shot by any means, about 8" high and broke her back(or spine) I believe - she dropped in her tracks.

Wabi, I also had problems with inserts pulling out when target shooting. Never had the same problem with alum.

Just a choice - and I'll stick with alum, until something drastic happens with them, which I doubt will. Might just have to throw out the odd bent one, thats all.

Oh, and Tye, I don't think I needed to see that again......OUCH!!!!!!!

Jay
TYE

Post by TYE »

I forget the exact details to the story...

I know it's a Carbon Express arrow. He was shooting a compound bow obviously. What happened was when he triggered the release, the arrow exploded while still in the power stroke. The rear piece of the arrow lodged in his hand clearly.

What my theory would be is that he had damaged the arrow by hitting it with another arrow while practicing. Not checking his arrow before he shot it, and it having been slightly damaged, caused it to split on the shot.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Not to step on anyone's toes but I think a beginner should start with aluminum arrows. When the shooter is proficient enough to use the qualities of faster, more expensive carbons then try them out. I use both but really like aluminums for no real reason other than what I know about carbon fiber. My experience with carbon fiber is with fishing rods. One good score on the blank and its garbage. Carbons are definitely for the advanced archer who is looking for speed and can take care of them. Tugging the snot out of carbons out of a target almost with impunity is a definite plus as well as the speed. I use carbons exclusively for my vert bows and would feel as if I were in a nightmare if I had to use aluminums arrows!
Again, I don't want to step on anyone's toes. This is just one man's opinion.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

that is it tye,,,,, just eating a sliver of one of those could do some serious damage to your innerds,,,,,,you eat one of those ??????? they dont melt ,they have to come out,,,,,,,,,,think about it .

if you shot a crossbow straight up with a broad head attached & a slight north wind blowing? what direction would you run, north or south

hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Here is a link to some good articles about choosing an arrow . . .there are three or four articles, the one the link opens to and then there's more on the left hand column . . .

http://www.eastonarchery.com/articles/allcarbon.asp

hatchet jack . . .you run north, otherwise, you may lose your arrow. :lol: :lol: :lol: Oooops I mean South . . .no North, no South.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Wed May 16, 2007 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

Eating a bullet fragment is dangerous as well for many reasons but cutting out the meat is all that is done.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I started on aluminum, went to carbon, and then back to aluminum. Had problems with the carbon inserts loosening. Also, i like knowing right away if an arrow is bad. I will gladly sacrifice a little speed to not risk having what happened in that picture. Ouch.

P.S. Great disscussion topic.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

sumner 4991, thats funny :D ,,, if you are going south you better get started.

well you guys have a nice day, i am going turkey hunting about 11:00 am, the high here today is going to be 75,she is a beaut

h.j.
they say he is still up there.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I practice a lot, so I like using carbons.

I think I will use aluminums for hunting. My Bemans weigh about the same as 2216's, so I may do that.
duramax

Post by duramax »

that had to hurt
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

I cant figure out how somebody can shoot themself in the hand with an arrow? :shock: :shock:
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Of the three deer I've shot I've had carbons break and splinter on me twice. Lost alot of meat. I'm now shooting xx75's with 125 gr. Wasp heads. Best of luck whichever you choose.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

My Exomax with GT carbons took 6 deer last season and one oak tree that I still swear stepped in front of the largest buck I've seen. :) All of the arrows (that were found) were in great shape and lived to hunt again. Even the oak tree kill went on to take a spike later that week. The broadhead wasn't so lucky. It is a permanent fixture within the oak with only the threads exposed.

Good quality carbons should never splinter when treated properly and are far more durable. Unlike retiring an obviously bent aluminum arrow, knowing when to retire a nicked carbon arrow can be more difficult to determine.

For this reason I have to agree with some of the others that for a new hunter I would recommend good straight aluminum arrows.

DuckHunt