nock change question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taxman

nock change question

Post by taxman »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a friend just quit xbow hunting and he gave me(among other things) about 60 bolts-all w/ half moon nocks. i have a excal exocet which requires flat nocks. these are carbon bolts. can they be heated or can i cut right thru them w/ a saw? i ask this to my proshop employee and he said he could not cut off the half moon nocks. i dont know if this is tru or if he didnt want to do it. ive heard or read that you can slowly heat the HF nocksand pull off w/ pliers. not sure if this is correct. thanks
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

First of all, you can use the moon nock on an Excalibur. You just have to make sure that you load the bolt correctly, i.e. with the cock feather/vane down, so that the string fits into the notch of the nock.

If you choose/wish to remove them, than yes you can try to heat them up, but have to use an indirect (not open flame) heat source, like a blower dryer. Personally, I would not recommend to do it.

The easiest method/solution is to "grind" the moon nocks flat, using a benchgrinder. That's what I did.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Taxman
ONe thing that worked for me, and was suggested by another member on this forum sometime back. If you can remove the insert at the front in the conventional manner, stick a drill bit, or some other piece of metal such as it is less than the ID of the shaft, inside the shaft. Hold the shaft vertical at the end where you just removed the insert, and "whip" the shaft back and forth, or up and down if you wish. The force of the drill bit hitting the nock should pop it loose. This has worked for me, if the nock isn't "welded" into the end of the shaft with some strong epoxy. Some have popped out, others popped enough for me to pull it out. Anyway, hope this helps.

Regards
Joe
M&M

Post by M&M »

if your concerned about the half moon nock just take a file to them and level them off. M&M
diesel

Post by diesel »

I have removed them by boiling water and sticking the end of the shaft in it for a few seconds.
On the other hand you could always just cut them off 1/2" shorter shaft will not hurt anything.
taxman

nocks

Post by taxman »

i wanted the pro shop to cut them off but i got that look from the owner. i would of paid greatly for that service but he siad that the hf nocks extend up thru the shaft(or something like that). i will try the boiling water or hair dryer to see how much trouble it is.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Hey Taxman, I am curious to know which store you were at. Was it B&B in Manassas or Dawsons in Woodbridge?
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Leave the ends in Asitone for half an hour the pull the nock out.
I would put a bolt in the nock and use pliers to pull the nock out.
I did the when I changed the inserts from alu. to brass. Just can't remeber what size of bolt to use.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Sorry about the spelling.
:(
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Hikerman
When using acetone was that on carbon or aluminum bolts?