Set Up On Exomax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DropTine

Set Up On Exomax

Post by DropTine »

I just bought a less than a year old exomax. Its like new condition and it came with scope, quiver and sling. No arrows or broadheads. I want to shoot aluminum arrows so what set up would give me the flatest trajectory. I want the largest cutting diameter broadead to. Also, the bow didnt come with a cocking aid. I have no problem cocking it, its just decocking it im afraid of, should i grad a cocking aid?

Thanks,

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i'd get a coking add just to make sure you cock the string right. Using your hand sis fine, but soemtimes you can twist the string which would throw the shot off. It definitly helps decocking the bow though;) Plus it helps save your back and arms LOL

I farm and have tough hands, but even cocking my exocet 10-12 times starts to leave blood blisters on my hands LOL. Not sur eif you have a stringer or not either? But i'd get one of those if you could. You can do it by hand, but its 18times easier with the stringing aid

I cant help ya on the alum arrows.. but the stock GT2 carbon bolts shoot insane fast :lol:

but keep in mind that flater shooting is always better for hunting. You want something with a little weight(higher FOC) for knockdown power when it hits your target.

as for bheads... it varies.. everyone has different likes. To my the biggest cutting diameter is going to be found on mechanical heads like spitfire and rage(2inch blades). Im getting a orde rof rage heads in tomorrow to test how they shoot.

just buy some different things and try.. thats the fun in this. Everyone always has different results with different products 8) :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

Aluminum 2213 will be the lightest/fastest set up for you then. What string do you have?
Broadhead....well your research will help you make that choice, much search info here on the forum. I'm a bodybuilder at 6'4" and have no problem cocking the Max, however I still prefer the rope cocking aid to string/unstring. It's probably a good investment.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Big broadheads may not fly the best. Since stock crossbow bolt vanes/feathersb tend to have no offset, a big broadhead can actually spin the bolt or even cause it to plane off course. (It took two buck misses with Thunderheads to learn that.) I switched to the 1&1/8" Slick Tricks and the accuracy problem vanished. Plus they deliber exceptional terminal performance.
Using the rope cocker produces more consistant accuracy as the string loads more evenly.