Serving wear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Serving wear

Post by Cossack »

Got just 40 shots from my Vortex and new Flemish string before serving was sloppy and starting to wear. While reserving the string I noticed that the serving had been wound [b]opposite[/b] of the direction of string twist. Apparently twisting the string caused the serving to loosen.
I'm starting to make my own strings so that problem will be eliminated.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

my flemish excal string servings dont seem to last to long, but they lasted atleast 150shots for me though. Im trying some of Boo's strings. The one I got from him a month ago was made very well!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I just got a new string from Boo yesterday. The serving is made with an Halo serving material . . .it looks really tough, in a sweet kind of fashion. I'm planning on starting a shot test next week on this new material. I'm completing a test on Boo's regular serving material with a Bee's Wax coating. Thus far I have 200 shots on the Bee's Wax serving and it still looks real good. I'll post pictures later. You might want to try the Bee's Wax. BTW . . .the Bee's Wax serving is on the Excel string . . .personally, I like the Excel string. I can't wait to try out the HALO . . .wait till you see the new string, it's FFF and simply awesome! It's definitely going to be part of my hunting set-up come October.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sumner4991 wrote:wait till you see the new string, it's FFF and simply awesome! It's definitely going to be part of my hunting set-up come October.
I have 2 of these on order :twisted: :D I believe a friend today is gonna get 2 also 8)
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Cossack,

Boo has a really good thread on reserving your string on the hunting net forum at :

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx ... 25&mpage=1

One other thing that might help is that I untwist the string 6 turns and then I reserve it. That way as you twist your string to take up the stretch it will tighten the serving as well. This keeps your serving nice and tight. This was another Boo tip that I saw him post somewhere.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I finished my testing of the Bees Wax serving from Boo yesterday . . .I got 243 shots on the serving. Not as many as I thought it might give me. The reason was probably due to changing my shooting routine and not lubing my rail/string as often as normal. I went from shooting 20-30 shots per day to 50 shots per day. I normally lube prior to shooting. Just wasn't thinking about lubing every 20-30 shots.

Here is a picture after 152 shots. This is just prior to changing the number of shots to 50. Not much wear at this point . . .

Here is the final picture after 243 shots.

Still got a great number of shots from the serving. You should easily get over 200 shots per serving before it falls apart. Nice serving Boo!

I'll start a new thread on the Halo serving which I'm going to start shooting today. I'm planning on doing a much better job of lubing. Another tip that was offered my another member . . .when you adjust your brace height you should also turn your string. Do this by turning both ends of the string, not just one end. Just adjust one end more than the other. It takes a little "trial and error", but it's easy. Just got to add it to your routine.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

do those limbsavers prevent any damage to the bow if it dry fires? Also, was it difficult to mount?
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

DropTine . . .here is a link to my thread on the dampener system.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =dampeners

They are relatively easy to put on. I would have to think they would help in case of a dry fire, but, I have not tested that, yet. :D

If you try putting them on and get stuck, just send me a pm.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Thanks! :D
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest