WHAT'S A GOOD BH SHARPENER?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ONLY8PTS

WHAT'S A GOOD BH SHARPENER?

Post by ONLY8PTS »

I SEE SEVERAL IN CABELA'S CATALOG RANGING FROM $7.00 TO$35.00.I DON'T MIND SPENDING A FEW EXTRA $$ FOR QUALITY,BUT NOT I DON'T HAVE TO.WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
ALWAYS GIVE THANKS FOR YOUR BOUNTY.
REMEMER, AIM SMALL.....MISS SMALL.
VORTEX,WITH RIGHT STUFF PKG.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Only,

I use a two step process to sharpen my broadheads and knives. 1st I sharpen them with my Lansky sharpener and then I use a leather strop and polishing compound to polish the edges. I am not happy unless I can easily shave hair with them.

Here is a great video that shows how to use the strop and stropping compound on the Slick Trick broadheads. It will help give you a general idea of the process. It is now the only process I use for my broadheads and my knives. It is amazing how sharp you can make them.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=363806

I bought a leather strop and some polish from Smokey Mountian Woodcarvers.

The strop was $4.00 :

http://woodcarvers.com/Strops1.htm

The stropping I use is called Yelowstone and is $6.25

http://woodcarvers.com/Strops1.htm

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
wabi

Post by wabi »

A lot depends on the type broadhead and your abilities. With a 2 or 3 blade, fixed blade head I prefer a good diamond stone. Some people have a hard (or impossible) time learning to sharpen them, others pick up the "knack" quickly. About all you can do is try whichever sharpener you like the looks of and see if it works for you.
wabi
ONLY8PTS

Post by ONLY8PTS »

Horizontal Hunter,thanks for the info.

Wabi,I don't have much trouble making my hunting knives shave hair but holding those little blades in my big fingers might be a problem.

Thanks guys for another education.
ALWAYS GIVE THANKS FOR YOUR BOUNTY.
REMEMER, AIM SMALL.....MISS SMALL.
VORTEX,WITH RIGHT STUFF PKG.
Horizontal Hunter

[quote="ONLY8PTS"]

...but holding those little blades in my big fingers might be a problem.

quote]

Thats why I use the Lansky. The holder holds the flat blades for the Slick Tricks perfectly. I have also read where some members use an X-acto hobby knife to hold the blade while they sharpen it.

Bob
wabi

Post by wabi »

That's why I said with fixed blade points. :wink:
Replaceable blades are designed to be replaced - not re-sharpened. I'm not saying they can't be re-sharpened, just saying they weren't designed for it. With those small blades safety is always an issue, and it's easy to get cut.
When I use a G-5 Montec (or Bear razorhead, or any other fixed blade head) I sharpen and re-sharpen it as needed. When I use a Wasp JakHammer (or slick-trick, or any other replacable blade head) I throw the used blades away after a kill and install brand new blades. Might not be the cheapest way to go, but it beats trying to re-sharpen a throw-away blade design.
I know a lot of members like to sharpen their replacable blades, and I'm not saying they are wrong, or living dangerously, just saying that's not what I do.
wabi
Horizontal Hunter

wabi wrote:That's why I said with fixed blade points. :wink:
Replaceable blades are designed to be replaced - not re-sharpened. I'm not saying they can't be re-sharpened, just saying they weren't designed for it. With those small blades safety is always an issue, and it's easy to get cut.
I completely agree with you Wabi.

I just find IMO that the blades just are not sharp enough to suit me out of the package. They will shave hair, and I am sure that they will kill any deer that is properly hit, I just think that they should easily shave hair and for that the blades need a touch up.
I am probably a little A. R. but thats me.

Bob