String dampener????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Crossbolt . . .thanks for the dampener idea. It really works like a charm. You might want to check out the new Horton bows with the "string stumpers" . . .might be a patent infringment for you.

By the way, good luck with the patent. Those patent folks are a real pain. I've been trying to get a patent on a exercise device for two years. Did you file yourself or hire an attorney. I did it myself. Probably a mistake to try it alone, but, it's a simple device. Maybe too simple. Anyway, seems like I get no respect since I'm not a big corporation.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TNhunterKMC

Post by TNhunterKMC »

From the looks of the graphs on page 4 of this thread it seems as if this string dampener system is cutting down noise by maybe 1-2% max. If these graphs are accurate I would think the various systems being added are not as useful as people are led to believe. I haven't tried one yet, but have tried the various limb savers and string leeches etc. And the only real affect I saw was lost speed.
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

TNhunterKMC, You have reason, the my graph on page 3 referred on my very old and bad prototype of absorber :
that I made it to search a easy and cheap solution to decrease noises. But this solution was not always so effective (if not perfect tuned with the crossbow-string / arrow weight, some time the noises was bigger than without) and it didn't protect the limbs in case of dry fire. So I preferred to continue following the way of materials quality with very sophisticated (and very expansives) plastic aeronautic layers and the final results are very good. I have the luck to shoot with other 12 persons, so every week I see fly more than 1200 arrows: this is a very big experience and a very great possibility for me to test many and many different solutions.
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

TNHunter . . .it's the highest sounds that are reduced. Take out 2% of total sound at the high end and it's a good amount of sound. However, it's a big difference for the shooter as you have your ear pressed against the instrument making the noise. Probably not a factor in killing a deer. I never have been convienced that string noise makes a deer move. It's the noise from the arrow cutting the wind that makes the deer move(jump).

Anyway, the big benefit for me is the dampener keeps the string from hitting the riser. Which was causing my string to break. Only solution(without the dampener) was to move the string to the higher brace height, which slowed the bolt down. Now I keep the string at the lower brace height and gain speed.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ONLY8PTS

Post by ONLY8PTS »

WHAT AN EDUCATION I GOT FROM THIS THREAD.
THANKS GUYS.
ALWAYS GIVE THANKS FOR YOUR BOUNTY.
REMEMER, AIM SMALL.....MISS SMALL.
VORTEX,WITH RIGHT STUFF PKG.
deerman

Post by deerman »

Looks like a good fix for sound and vibration. Good job!!
Constitution states "That all power is inheret in the people:that ...it is their right & duty to be at all times armed"...Thomas Jefferson 1824.
diesel

Post by diesel »

ttt
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

diesel . . .did you get it completed? What do you think?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
diesel

Post by diesel »

No not yet. I left part of my bow @ work . so I'm not able to shot it yet.
:?
diesel

Post by diesel »

Well I got it done and I'm happy with the noise reduction. I hope to shoot it more this weekend with some family members that have not added it on yet. also hope to test and see how fast it is.
bucky

2 1/2" bracket

Post by bucky »

I bought a set of 2 1/2" brackets from homedepot and they are to small. when I install my limbsaver on the brackets and put the seyup on my exocet 200 they are touching and pushing out to the sides. do I need to get a bigger l bracket or try and drill a hole closer to the edge.
bucky

my mistake

Post by bucky »

sorry guys just looked at the package from my l brackets and they are only 2" and not 2 1/2" sorry again guys
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

Watched a show today and was noticing that the owners of Excalibur (forget names at the moment) do not use ANYTHING on their bows for silencing . They were hunting Axis deer which are very jumpy. They had no problem with the deer jumping the string (sound) .
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

tuskntine . . .there are several reasons for adding this dampening system. I think the least of which is for "less noise". First of all, the bolt is traveling way too fast for a deer to "jump the string", especially at 30 yards or less. That's why no one really cares about putting "silencers" on these xbows. However, there are several other benefits such as a smoother shooting crossbow, the string no longer hits the riser(no more string damage), and tighter groups. The noise reduction is just a nice side item.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

I guess the sound concern comes from being a previous compound bow shooter . I still have a lot of learning and retraining to do . I understand that we hear more noise than usual because we have the xbow tucked under our chin , therefore we notice it more .
Now let me ask this . When you say the string "hits the riser" , do you mean where it joins the rails ? On my Phoenix there is no diff. in height . The riser and rail align perfectly and I have noticed no damage (so far)to the serving .
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.