speed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tuskntine

speed

Post by tuskntine »

Now that my new FFF string seems to have stopped stretching , it has settled in about mid way between the marks on the rail . I read on a recent thread that by untwisting the string to align it with the first line closest to the riser that it would give me more speed . Is this correct .
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
ga_Game_hunter

Post by ga_Game_hunter »

Here is a good thread describing the effects having a higher brace height (line furthest from the riser) opposed to having a lower brace height (line closest to the riser):

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hth+height
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It took about 280 shots and ten days of shooting before my latest FFF string settled completely. I had 19 twists into my string at this point to keep it at my perferred brace-height.

Untwisting a new FFF string, could possibly unravel it. I would perfer it to stretch down to your perferred brace height and then start twisting it tighter as it settles to keep it there.

To answer your question. Yes, it will give you more speed. However, not much more. It can also allow your string to start hitting your riser and damage the string unless you have added a dampener or something to prevent it from hitting. You may notice more vibes . . .well unless you have added the dampener. Anyway, there are trade-offs.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

To answer the question, yes. Lengthening the "power stroke" (by decreasing brace height) will increase arrow velocity.

Now my Image
The bow will shoot "smoother" with the string close to the maximum brace height, and the small gain in speed isn't worth the extra noise & vibration.
If I wanted the fastest crossbow out there I'd buy a Stryker, but I want a dependable, low maintanance, hunting crossbow, so I picked Excalibur.
I use a dacron string, set the brace height to near the max, and shoot arrows well over the minimum weight. I'm loosing 15 or 20 fps off the maximum possible speed, but the bow is smooth & quiet (relative to crossbows) and just may last a little longer with a little less stress on the limbs. So far I've never had a need for any extra speed or power for my deer hunting. I get close (my two deer last year were both under 15 yards) and the arrow is through them before they can react. Archery is not long range shooting, so I enjoy it for what it is. Testing my ability to get close and remain undetected by the deer's keen senses.
Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting, but any bow has very severe limitations on ethical hunting range. To me the answer to killing more game isn't trying to increase effective shooting distance, it's honing my abilities to get close and be a better hunter.
wabi
navaman

Post by navaman »

well said. wabi ! :D
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
wabi

Post by wabi »

tuskntine,
In coming back and re-reading my post it might sound like I'm criticizing you for wanting to get more speed out of your bow. That isn't my intent!
I'm just saying (personal opinion) speed has somehow become the focus of far too many manufacturers and their advertisements. Seems like every bow ad wants to focus on how fast their bow shoots, like if you are shooting a bow that's even a little bit slower, you're wasting your time being in the woods.
Yes, faster bows have some definate advantages. Flatter trajectory, and less time for a deer to "jump the string". But usually there is a trade-off to gain that little bit of speed, and they don't bother to tell you that that same bow shooting a heavier arrow a little slower just might feel a whole lot better and be quieter.
I've hunted with recurves and longbows since before compounds were invented. (the B.C. age :lol: ) Those bows, when set up for minimum noise and the smoothest feel (less "twang" & hand shock), usually take an arrow of 10 or more grains/per pound of draw weight. In my 49# recurve I usually shoot an arrow of around 570 grains. I've never chronographed it, because I don't really care, but it's probably lobbing arrows at around 160 to 180 fps. I wouldn't try a deer much past 15 or 20 yards with that bow, but the last one I shot with a trad bow was at 6 or 7 yards and it didn't know I was even close until the arrow "stung" it. That's been a few years back, as I've given 95% of the deer hunting duty to the Excalibur now. But I still try to get just as close. For me, that's the challenge that makes it fun. Killing the deer is only the one final small step in a successful hunt, and some of them I even count as successful without taking the final step. Last year I had a small buck feed under my ladder stand for 15 or 20 minutes. At one point he was between the ladder and the tree munching acorns. I never even bothered taking the crossbow off the hook I had it hung on. I knew in my mind, without a doubt, I could have killed that buck (even with my trad bows). I didn't want him, as I felt he had promise of developing into a nice buck in a couple of years, so I just watched and enjoyed the fact that I had totally fooled him. Evaded all his fine-tuned detection devices (nose, ears, eyes) and he never knew I was there! That was a successful hunt in my mind!
If I was only interested in killing deer, I might tune my crossbow to tweak every possible bit of speed out of it, but I hunt for more reasons than just killing game. Sure I kill enough to feed me and my family, but the hunt is what keeps me tromping around in the woods.
wabi
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Two great posts, Mike, thanks!!
"Eze 18:21"
navaman

Post by navaman »

the experiences that you , wabi and bstout have had hunting with traditional recurve bows is what has kept me hanging on longer to my slow vixen. you guys have taken trophies using something much slower than my crossbow and quite frankly, it's an inspiration to me. someday i may buy the exocet but for now i continue to practice with my vixen knowing that with it and 400 grain arrows i have to sharpen and develop other skills involved in hunting.
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

I guess my problem is that I am just now getting into the xbow thing. I was shooting a Bowtech using short , light arrows for speed and penetration. Now I am having to learn a new trick so to speak.
What I am looking for is as flat shooting as possible without being loud. I know xbows are not the easiest to keep quiet . I really don't want to get into building my own bolts like I did my arrows , so I think I am going to stick with the carbon arrows and Spitfire 100's since I like the mech. type broadheads. I tried some Buckmasters made by Sonic but they flew to the right consistently compared to my field tips . I could adjust , but first I am going to try the recommended Wasp blades and compare them to the Spitfires.
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

While I agree that lower brace hight will increase velocity, the weight of the bolt makes a big difference. I am shooting 4 different bolts in two different bows. The Excalibur GoldTip bolts weight 370 grains with 100 gr field tips, Bemas weigh 450grs and are some 20 fps slower.
wabi

Post by wabi »

tuskntine,
I don't worry about noise anymore. When I first started hunting with a crossbow I tried several things to quiet the bow and found the often quoted saying "if you want to quiet you crossbow, get a good set of ear plugs!" is all too true. What I try for is "smooth" shooting. Just like a trad bow there is a "sweet spot" for every bow's brace height where noise & vibration are minimal. With my Excaliburs that has always been around 1 1/8 to 1 1/4". I also shoot a dacron string for the reduced vibration and "twang".
I took the dissapator bars off my Phoenix and to my ears the noise with the maximum brace height, dacron string, and heavier arrows is still less than it was with fastflight, minimum weight arrows, and a lower brace height. If you measured it scientifically it might still be as high, but the dull "thud" sounds better to me than a sharp "twaaaaaang". :roll:
As far as trajectory I really can't see much difference out to 35 yards (the max range the way I have my TenPoint scope adjusted). That scope is calibrated for 300 fps, and the 10 yard crosshairs are still 10 yards. I sight for 15-25-35. I may be an inch lower at 35 with the slower arrows, but it's still close enough to hit a deer's vitals easily at that range, and that would be my personal absolute maximum range.
wabi