Broadhead review: Eastman Outfitters Silver Strike

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Broadhead review: Eastman Outfitters Silver Strike

Post by DuckHunt »

Howdy all. I've been fairly quiet since spring but time is approaching to polish up the skills and share some knowledge with the group that has ample to spare.

Last season was my first with a crossbow and I was fortunate to have access to private land in Loudoun Co. Virginia. It is a deer hunters dream. I took four deer with my Exomax (2 bucks) and my 10 yr old son took his first two doe in one hunt with my Exomax. All were taken from 10-35 yards with Spitfire 100gr heads.

I saw some cheap expandable heads at Walmart that looked promising. The name brand is Eastman Outfitters if you can call it a brand. They are made in China. For $9.77 a 3-pack I figured it would be a cheap test session. The feet of the blades sit almost 1/2 inch back from the point so you would never have an issue with deflection on quartering shots.

The problem is what you do not see on a closed head. Once I opened one of the heads fully I noticed that the leading 1/4 inch on each blade is not sharpened! The razor sharp portion doesn't start until well onto the blade. It may not be an issue for close shots with ample power, but it will surely affect penetration. In the attached photo you can see the front of the blade looks rounded off. Actually, that is the unsharpened portion.

I test shot them at 30 yards with my Exomax into a paper-covered Block 4x4 and can confirm that even with only one rubber band, they are closed when they make contact. They fly like field points. Penetration was less than a field point which is somewhat expected. After a minor (1-click) sight adjustment I tossed one more and a Spitfire to compare accuracy. One shot is not a guarantee, but the Spitfire was closer. (to the center of a 2-inch circle).

When I pulled the second arrow from the block, only one of the three expandable blades was left in the broadhead. The tiny screws that hold each blade apparently sheared off on contact after two shots causing two blades to detach. The head and tail of the screws are still in their sockets.

Conclusion: You get what you pay for. These cheap expandable blade broadheads are just that; cheap. They may likely kill a deer. They are accurate enough. They are not durable or sharp enough however. They are basically a one-shot broadhead. After the first shot, throw it away. It may not stay together for a second hit. Just my opinion; your mileage may vary.

I'm ready for a new season. Time for a fresh pack of Spitfires. I checked the stands yesterday and saw lots of sign. Let the countdown begin.... :D