Killing time: Mounting old horns

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Killing time: Mounting old horns

Post by DuckHunt »

I've been putting it off for a while and decided Labor Day was as good a time as any to make some boards and mount some of the worthy horns from the last three seasons.
Left = 7pt, muzzleloader kill (2005)
Right = 8pt, killed by my wife with my car (2004)
Top = 6pt, rifle kill (2006)
Center = 4pt, my daughters first buck (2006 muzzleloader kill)
Bottom = Button buck, my sons first deer (2006 crossbow kill)
tracer

Post by tracer »

Nice collection. Thanks for posting. Do you have more details and pics on the 8 pointer?
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Nice job Duckhunt! I like your technique of mounting the antlers in a more upright, natural position. I do the same thing.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

all the mounts look very good... I started about 7 years ago hunting bucks that I would atleast board mount(18plus inches wide) and now my garage is about full.. I like to atleast honor the buck by placing his antlers up so they are there to remember and I can show my kids bucks ive killed over the years. So far I have about 15 on boards LOL.. not counting the head mounts lol

I really like the skull on all the mounts.. I espically like the small mount that 9pt posted in the middle. The board is very neat:)

Duckhunt, that 8pt you got is very nice. Its a narrow rack but very neat looking 8)

here is how I mount all of mine on boards and for friends LOL

ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Very nice, Crazyfarmer. The metalwork give it a Medieval look. Wild browtines on that one.

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Nice. Quite a few nice racks actually.

Tracer: I wish I still had some pics. I lost a few years worth of digital pics with a PC crash. My wife was coming home from a church function about noon on the Sunday before Thanksgiving in 2004. She and the car in front of her had to slow for two doe high stepping it from a wood lot across the road. As they were admiring the two does they didn't think about the rut and where you find does you find a buck. This beast of a buck came out of the woods in chase of the does and hit the car in the front drivers corner. She was moving about 45mph and the buck was at full throttle. She never saw him coming. He hit so hard his horns left a huge dent in the center of the hood. The buck spun around and went down instantly. The car was drivable, but took $3800 to fix.

It was truly a huge buck for these parts in sheer body size. I couldn't load him in my truck by myself. If I had to hazard a guess at the weight I would figure about 250#. He was worthy of a shoulder mount, but the impact with the car knocked most of the eyelashes and whiskers off one side of his head.

I salvaged quite a bit of meat from him, but he was without a doubt the most foul smelling thing I've ever gutted. I thought I was going to blow chunks on numerous occasions. :oops: I've cleaned numerous shotgun-killed rabbits and none were as wrank as this buck.
decee

Post by decee »

Those are Antlers.
Cattle have horns