5 yrd. Doe!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

5 yrd. Doe!

Post by vixenmaster »

I had a big 90 pounder :D come out by me this morning at 5 yds. No spots just little deer, i watched her with my heart in my throat! She was giving me the eyeball, the head bob and dancing feet. Don't matter that it was a small Doe! It was thrilling, had that rush going. Now if a bigger one comes soon i will try my skill. Of course if its more than a couple of weeks, i may have to put the one i see in the freezer! :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Rich

Post by Rich »

90 lb doe, thats a whooper by VA standards. I would have had to let it fly. Let a 90 pounder walk by me next weekend and I'll be posting pics of the 2 of us with the Exocet.

Rich
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've had a couple of small ones over the past three weeks. One buck and one doe. The buck was the biggest at an estimated 60 pounds. The doe still had spots, maybe 40 pounds. The doe was about 5 yards from me too, the buck about 25 yards. Both would have been easy pickins. :wink: Maybe by December, they'll be big enough. :lol:

Been cooling off here, but, still too hot. We also have that full moon to deal with . . .so light yesterday a.m. that I made it all the way into my stand without a flashlight. Crossed the creek and wondered through the woods by the big ole moon . . .if I could see good, you know the deer were all over it.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

That's cool ! I don't get the rush I would on a big buck but none the less I been out 4 times and had deer close enough to shoot. Right now the only deer I'll shoot are the Nanny's or a nice buck. Later I'll start in on the yearlings or maybe not :lol: might be sooner.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Good job holding off. Keep it up and that big ole maw or paw will come by eventually.

Are you guys making your weight guesstimations on the whole deer or the dressed deer? I have always seen them weighed on the scale where I hunt, after they have been dressed. So when I see them now, dead or alive, I always guess the weight of them dressed. A 90 lb doe here is pretty darn big but whole she would weigh 120 or 130.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Personally I was guessing based on the whole deer as it stood. I used to guess the weight on the livestock at the farm before taking them to the stockyard. We used to weigh the calves and dogs for fun. Anyway, I could be as much as 10 pounds off . . .I just know the two deer I saw were very small. Seemed like I always guessed that the livestock were heavier than they actually were. :lol: That problem has carried over into my hunting and fishing at times too. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I was talking about on the hoof, she weren't none to big. Reckon she could have been last years fawn.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
saxman

Post by saxman »

90 lbs? Thats a booner down here.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy