Started to the truck this morning.......

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Started to the truck this morning.......

Post by wabi »

just before daylight when I heard "DADDY - WAIT DADDY!!!!" behind me. My 7 year old, in his underwear, was running to catch up. :shock:
"I want to go deer hunting with you" was his plea, and, of course, it worked. :lol: We went back to the house, picked him out some warm clothing (we're finally getting cool nights :) ) and still made it at just about legal shooting time. Didn't see any deer, but it didn't really matter, it's just a great feeling knowing I've been able to pass on the love of the outdoors and hunting to my son.
wabi
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D Thats what its all about , enjoy and be proud, lessons taught now last a life time.
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

wabi, you are a LUCKY MAN, yes thats what its all about.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

That's PRICELESS!!! :lol: Literally. Nothing is worth more than having your boy want to be with you in the woods sharing your passion for the outdoors! :D :D :D Good for you for taking him along. Those young 'uns are the future of hunting!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Its a great feeling, took all 3 of mine from diapers on until they left the nest. They all live in different states but hunt and fish when they can.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Gotta love taking the little one along ... way to go wabi !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

bstout wrote:He's your buckaroo...he wants to be like you... :D
Tyler loves that song. Congrats Wabi, the greatest times that I've had hunting have been with Tyler. You'll realize how much that you really know about the outdoors because you'll be asked questions on this subject over and over. Cherish every moment, they go by so quick. Tyler is 10 and killed his first one at 7. He was able to do this because I never said "no you can't go" or "maybe next time" I always put him first. Now, I don't know about the laws in Ohio, but in NC, a child of any age can hunt with a firearm as long as the child is under direct supervision of the hunting adult and within arms reach. Some say that I started him too early with a .243 but after he pasted the NC safety course twice and proved himself to me, I had no doubt. In fact, most youngsters that take the course every year are more safety conscientious that most adult hunters that I know. Anyhow, praying for you both a great hunting season and many more to come. He's learning from a pro.

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Great Story I Can See Him In My Mind { Now Down To The Bass Pro Shop You Go And Get Him His Camo Out Fit }
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

It has got to put a big smile on your face knowing your son wants to go with dad.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

That's as good as shooting a big buck!! Better!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Here in Ohio he can hunt at any age, but he has to buy a license and to do that he will have to successfully complete a hunter education course. He can hunt for up to three years on an apprentice license as long as he is accompanied by a licensed adult. He's still pretty small physically, so I keep holding off on the apprentice license.
Right now he's shooting a 15# recurve, but I think Santa will bring him a heavier one for Christmas. :wink: He does pretty good with the recurve, but he gets mad when I outshoot him. I keep telling him I've got a few years practice on him since I've been shooting one since I was his age. I should have learned something in those 49 years. :roll:
Our deer hunting requires a 40# vert bow, so I'll probably just start him with a crossbow. The gun season requires a shotgun & slugs, or a muzzleloader - no centerfire rifles. I've let him shoot my .50 sidelock with much reduced loads and a round ball so the recoils is minimal. He doesn't do bad off the bench, but it's too muzzle heavy for him offhand.
Who knows? I should probably just invest a fortune in clothes for him and he would outgrow them overnight. :lol:
I'll probably let him try small game hunting next fall and see how he does. A youth model .22 and a few days when the squirrels are cutting might even make him want to skip school. :wink:
wabi
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I hear ya Wabi, when the time is right, take a look at a Rossi .22/410 combo. That was Tyler's first gun and he tore into some squirrels and still does. I like it because unlike most single barrels, the Rossie has a Red/Green safety. :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray