Spooked my deer, now what?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Spooked my deer, now what?

Post by Pydpiper »

If I recall, this was my first post in turkey season too.. :?

OK, I was heading in late to set up on a spot I have seen some deer, walked a fenceline to get at it while looking for a place to cross it to the land I can hunt.. 2 deer spooked when I came around a corner, they were to my left while I was watching my right..
So my question, if I approach a bit more cautiously ( :oops: ) in the morning are they likly to be in the same great spot or did I just make yet another mistake that is beyond recovery?

It was just their tail ends dissapeaing into the woods at about 20 yards I caught..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I would hunt it again. Who's to say those are the only deer in that area. Plus deer often get spooked by people and will return to the same spot later on.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Hunt it again. Heck, just because you spook a couple is no reason not to hunt it that day. Especially if it is before daylight when you spook them. I've spooked deer walking in to my stand only to have them obviously walk down the same trail following me to my stand. I've actually had them walk down the trail I did, then cut out through the woods where I did and stand underneath my stand before daylight. I guess they couldn't find where I went from there. They never looked up. :)

Sometimes they jump without really identifying what they are running from. I've watched many curious deer stop less than 100 yards later and look back. When they don't see what made the noise they actually walk back toward the source until they find it. Not all deer are smart. Now that I think about it, they were all doe. I like doe too.
DanO

Post by DanO »

I was in my stand 1.5 hours before daylight this am. I got made by a doe with all the normal hissing and spitting. I just sat quiet for over an hour. She eventually walked out 3 times only 30 yds from me along with two other does. They seemed curious after the original spooking. I'd hunt it again.

Oh yeah and I missed because I didn't check my bow. The string had stretched after a two week period and I failed to check. The shot was low by alot!

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I will try it again in the morning then, thanks guys!

I wasn't watching my left mainly because it was directly down wind, I can't say for sure if they pegged me as more than a noise.
I am so dissapointed..
This spot was new to me, a corn feild that the farmer just took out the outside row off of, so 15 feet of the feild is flat.. I should have known better.

I will be there at 5 am tomorrow, it is a small bush but has shown more activity than my regular stomping grounds. I am relieved to hear I at least have a reason to go tomorrow.. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I'd hunt it again. I've had spooked deer come right back in a couple of hours and walk right in my tracks.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You didn't shoot at them so they will be back at some time, get after them!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

smokepolehall wrote:You didn't shoot at them so they will be back at some time, get after them!
I swore at them a few times, but it was under my breath.. :D

OK, who am I kidding, it ws me I was swearing at..
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if you spoke deer in the dark then they normally come back since they cant make you out...

now if a good buck makes you out, he probably wont came back for awhile. But who knows what they may do LOL

If you have another stand to hunt, i'd hunt that and give the other a day or 2's rest. If you spoked doe, then dont worry about it and go back:)
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I had a similar thing happen. A couple of days ago I took my kids to the woods behind the house to cut some bamboo for a project and spooked two does on the way. Both kids followed my lead and stopped and ducked when I did. The deer didn't take off at a sprint, but they knew something was up and got out of there. I think they are still back there because they emptied both feeders last night. I'll just keep at it, they gotta come back sometime.