FNG with string ?'s

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TJN22

FNG with string ?'s

Post by TJN22 »

Proud owner of a new Pheonix and right stuff package.

After reading a few posts concerning strings, I now have a few of my own.

1. Should an excel string (stock form above package) always have a twist or two? My string is just barely at the hash mark on the deck closest to shooter after a couple hundred practice shots and a month on the limbs.

2. My string appears to be hitting the riser, is this a potential problem?
I base this assumption on the amount of wax build up on the riser.

3. If I put a twist or two in the string, will this stop it from hitting the riser?

4. Twisting the string will definately move the string outside the hash marks on the deck. Will this create another problem?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome! :D

1. I don't think it's a problem that an endless loop string not have a twist in it ... lots don't, or hardly have any. I defer to our string authorities, though.

2. Your string does move forward of the brace marks, and both throws bits of wax and deposits bits of wax on the riser. Not a problem. Some install recoil dampeners on their crossbows, both to silence and increase string life.

3. Probably not. Would take a lot of twisting.

4. Your string should rest somewhere between the "hash marks" on the deck when your bow isn't braced.
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The fact that your string is hitting the riser isn't an issue in itself. . .if your string is hitting the riser with enough force to cause string damage, then it's an issue. The fact that your string has lasted 200 shots is an indicator that you are OK . . .my strings when hitting the riser were lasting 60-80 shots.

You are correct about the twisting. The further you go toward the trigger with the brace height the less speed you will have. As Grizz says, it will take several twists.

I personally would not worry about the string or the brace height that you have described. As long as you are accurate, keep shooting.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I don't see how your brace height could be so high and still hit the riser? Usually one of those symptoms is the exact opposite of the other.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Stash

Post by Stash »

The string should definitely have some twists in it - this is solely to keep the strands together, and makes the string more durable. An untwisted string has the potential of allowing the individual strands to break.

You need to put about 6 twists in the string, and do them counter-clockwise, when looking from the end to the middle of the string. This will tighten the serving. The first few twists in a string will not significantly affect the brace height. It's only when you have a lot of twists does the string shorten.

No, your string is not hitting the riser.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Stash ... one of the strings I got with my Exomax (can't remember whether it came with the bow or the accessory pack) was so short it was above brace height without any twists in it!

Guess it was fated to be a goner, then, huh?

Do you remember when compound bows used steel cables and endless loop strings? I wonder why a lot of them didn't have any twists in the string? Those strands were so loose you could seperate 'em to put a peep in with your fingers!

I'm sure you're right. I'm no string authority. Always used flemish twist strings on my stick and recurve bows anyway.
Grizz
taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

Both of my Excel srtings were too short ,so impossible to twist them,they were nearly an inch from the line forward to the trigger.
Taureau noir
---------Chasseurs et Pêcheurs du Québec----
http://chasseursetpecheurs.actifforum.com
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/momo7132/LOGO/chasseur_pecheur2.jpg[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'm not sure what the reasoning is in the dacron strings being so short. I've always liked to have at least one full twist for every 2 to 4" of string, but no more than one full twist in 1". Just another holdover from my early archery days, but that's the way I was shown they should be, and it has always worked for me, so why change? The new short strings are way above the suggested maximum brace height in many cases, so it's impossible to add any twists. In my experience endless loop dacron strings do not stretch all that much after the initial break-in of 25 or 30 shots.
Bill T. said if it's above max it won't hurt so go ahead and shoot it, in a previous thread.
wabi
TJN22

Post by TJN22 »

I have a spare string since I bought the right stuff package along with the x-bow. So I'll put it on and give it a try.

Will changing the string effect point of impact?
Stash

Post by Stash »

I would be willing to bet that I've assembled more Excaliburs in the last 2 1/2 years than anyone outside (and probably inside) the factory.

Since Excalibur started shipping the bows with the dacron string, in almost every case, when first strung, the BH is about 1/4" above the top line, and within 6 shots it's sitting at the top line. That's with about 6-8 twists in the string.

Dacron has a great deal of both "stretch" (a recoverable elongation) and "creep" (a permanent elongation), so you have to keep an eye on the BH of a dacron string over the months and years, especially if you take the string off for periods of time.

But don't worry about the BH being off by a bit - it won't make any significant difference to your accuracy in a hunting situation.
TJN22

Post by TJN22 »

[quote="Stash"]I would be willing to bet that I've assembled more Excaliburs in the last 2 1/2 years than anyone outside (and probably inside) the factory......... quote]

Thanks Stash,

That is the common sense type info I was looking for.

I'm headed out on Saturday, maybe I'll get lucky!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wabi wrote:I'm not sure what the reasoning is in the dacron strings being so short. I've always liked to have at least one full twist for every 2 to 4" of string, but no more than one full twist in 1". so why change? The new short strings are way above the suggested maximum brace height in many cases, so it's impossible to add any twists. In my experience endless loop dacron strings do not stretch all that much after the initial break-in of 25 or 30 shots.
Bill T. said if it's above max it won't hurt so go ahead and shoot it, in a previous thread.
Don't like'em never will!!!! Wabi's quote is in part only....And very true, anyone that gets stretch from the above string needs glass real bad.... :shock: Also as Wabi stated of Bill T. if its above max (BH) it won't hurt it but will sure slow down the FPS :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ga_Game_hunter

Post by ga_Game_hunter »

I have an excel string and it's been on my crossbow for 2 months now with around 100 shots fired on it and the string is still above the line towards the trigger. I figured it would stretch/creep down below the line by now. I never did twist it or it would have been even higher. All that matters to me is that it's accurate. Although my crossbow season has ended, I'm probably going to leave it on there a month or so more to see if I can finally get it to stretch where it is between the lines.