Vari-Zone Help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wn

Vari-Zone Help

Post by wn »

I finally broke down and purchased a vari-zone scope. I shoot an exocet 200 with a fast flight string and according to my reloading scales a 430gr bolt. How do I determine how fast my bolt is going so i can set my speed dial on the scope. I do not have access to a cronograph. Does anyone out there have a simular set up and knows their bolt velocity. I got the scope to day and do not have a lot of set up time before Saturday.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

There is no assurance that the speed markings are exactly correct on the scope. So, whether or not you have access to a chronograph doesn't matter.

Why not sight in your scope at 20 yards, then go back to 30 yards and shoot? Instead of adjusting the elevation knob on the scope to put your bolts on target at 30 yards, use the speed dial. Then verify the results at 40 yards and 50 yards, and do any fine tuning then that may be required.

Your bolt speed is not that important to know. Having your bolts on target at the distances your scope is guaged for is the important feature.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

There is a sheet that comes with the scope that will out line how to adjust the speed ring of the scope. You will need a place where you will be able to shoot out to 50 yds to make the adjustments.

I would guess you are shooting around 300 fps, you can use this as a starting point. Then just follow the instructions that came with the scope

Use a measured 50yds. if you hit high, make an adjustment towards the higher velocity . If you hit low , adjust the opposite way .

Hope this is of service .
Rich

Post by Rich »

WN,

Sight in at 20 as described before, the speed ring has nothing to do with the 20 yard crosshairs. Go to 30, set speed ring @320 FPS and shoot. If bolt is high, adjust speed ring higher, if low, adjust lower. Once dead on at 30 yards, do the same for 40.

Rich
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I bought a variesone for exocet 175# in Aug. With the fast flight string and bolts from excalibur it shoots 315 fps.With my custom shafts I guss they shoot around 300 fps. So I set the scope at 300 and tune it in at 20 yards first then test it at 30 yardsand so on. Didn't play with ring just the horizontal and the vertical adjustment.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Stash

Post by Stash »

300 is a good guess.

I entered some numbers in some (vertical bow) arrow selection software, and calculating from the Exocet 200's 330 fps rating with a 350 grain arrow and fastflite string and then making the arrow go to 430 grains, shows the expected speed to be 303 fps.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Try this, when hunting season is over I will redo the whole whole thing with pictures..

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... black+line
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string