Vertical Bows... (Pictures too if you have them!)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

the elf

Post by the elf »

Hey Boo-----I disagree with some of your statements----according to the Ontario hunting regulations----the minimum requirements for archery for deer [page 22]--the minimum draw weight is-----18 kilograms[39.7 pounds]-----also you state that sights are not used on traditional equipment--sights were being used before compounds were invented----then you state that the range is 20 yards for traditional equipment----this is the range that most deer are shot with trad.equipment--but that is not the maximum by any means---there are a lot of trad archers who are deadly at much further ranges than that-----[not me].The Compound and the Crossbow both hold the string back with some or all draw weight reduced----which makes it easier for the person using them.-----Elf.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Sorry Elf, my mistake I should have said that I do not use sights on my recurves.
My release need less than an pound to release and all the garbage on the bows like the drop away rest, stabilizer etc make for an easier bow to shoot for me. I find it far easier to shoot more accurately with my compounds than my crossbows.
I guess I am not up to date on my regs. I thought it was 45 thank you for informing me and the others. That number of 45lb was for moose.
Last edited by Boo on Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
TPM

Post by TPM »

I have an older PSE Mach 4 or 5 (can't remember which :oops: ). It's about ten years old but it still shoots fine. Draw weight is adjustable from 65lbs.-80lbs.. I have it set at around 68lbs.. Just getting back into using it. Lots of great archery events at our range which I hope to partake in next year.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
tws75

Post by tws75 »

i had a hoyt before i got hurt but know i couldnt even get one pulled back cause of my shoulder
TYE

Post by TYE »

Pydpiper wrote: If you are thinking about trying one do yourself a favor and do not listen to those who say it is so difficult

I've shot compound bows before. I worked at an archery shop, and this one guy came in all the time and on my spare time he let me shoot his AR-37 and Hoyt Ultratec target bows. Right from the start I was good. Couple tips from Tim (Mathews pro shooter) and I had good form. Within minutes I was slamming all his arrows into one another. :lol: That's when I got in trouble.... lol

It's always been kind of a "dream" of mine to have a compound bow. I just don't know if my shoulder can handle it yet.
TYE

Post by TYE »

LondonDave wrote:
If you're thinking about getting one, don't get caught up in the hype with these high poundage super fast bows. You don't need a 70+ pound bow that shoots over 300 fps to kill deer.

I'm comfortable with a 60# draw weight. 70# is far too much for me. I pretty much have to struggle to draw those suckers back. LOL
TYE

Post by TYE »

Boo wrote: Are you thinking about bow hunting in Alberta Tye? If you are consider that you are going for moose. Donno what the min is for moose in Alberta though. Then there is Elk!
Don one of my dreams is to take an elk with a compound bow. :)

I'm not worried about minimum draw weights. I can shoot 60#'s fairly well. Although I can shoot a 50# bow for much longer of course.
the elf

Post by the elf »

Hi Tye-------get yourself a bow with poundage adjustable between 50--60 pounds-------so that when your body starts to wear out like the rest of us you can turn the draw weight down to 50. But the main thing is to keep it fun.-------Elf. :lol: :lol: :lol:
TYE

Post by TYE »

the elf wrote:Hi Tye-------get yourself a bow with poundage adjustable between 50--60 pounds-------so that when your body starts to wear out like the rest of us you can turn the draw weight down to 50. But the main thing is to keep it fun.-------Elf. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah that's what I had planned was a 50-60 # bow.

I just love shooting them. And just the thought of drawing back on an animal, just gets the blood flowing!

I'm thinking about starting to work out again, maybe it will help out my shoulder.

I even tossed around the idea or trading my Excal in for a compound... :oops:
gad

Post by gad »

Hoyt powertech 2006, 27.5" draw lenght, 384 grains arrow, 255 fps.

Its not that powerfull like my exomax, but it is also pretty accurate !

(and best of all, does not carry a big price tag when I bought...)

I have counted with your suggestion when I bought this bow, do you remember TYE ?
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
TYE

Post by TYE »

gad wrote:Hoyt powertech 2006, 27.5" draw lenght, 384 grains arrow, 255 fps.

I have counted with your suggestion when I bought this bow, do you remember TYE ?
What do you mean counted with my suggestion? Sorry I don't remember... :oops:
gad

Post by gad »

TYE wrote:
gad wrote:Hoyt powertech 2006, 27.5" draw lenght, 384 grains arrow, 255 fps.

What do you mean counted with my suggestion? Sorry I don't remember... :oops:
When you worked at a bow shop, I just throw a question here on the forums about vert bows, and you sent a PM about those hoyts with low price tags. Thanks! I am fully satisfied with the bow.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
TYE

Post by TYE »

Oh, okay :) You're welcome! I'm gladded I helped you out. I really like Hoyt bows also. I'm either going to go Hoyt / Reflex or Bowtech / Diamond when I get a bow, unless something else catches my attention price wise. :P :P
travis

Post by travis »

i shoot a bow tech tomcat it is 80lb hunted moose and elk in alberta with it lots of fun but enjoying the crossbow now.
exuinox, groundpounder mount,
right stuff scope packeage
greatest WIFE and kids got me this for fathers day.
TYE

Post by TYE »

travis wrote:i shoot a bow tech tomcat it is 80lb hunted moose and elk in alberta with it lots of fun but enjoying the crossbow now.
The Bowtech Tomkat in 60# is what I was looking at... :)