New Smoke-Belcher: A Tribute To TC

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dnepr

Post by dnepr »

TPM wrote:Congrats Grizz! That is exactly the same as my T/C hawken, .54 cal, 28" barrel, older style hammer. You're going to love it! :D
Here's a pic of mine. Note the barrel sight has been replaced with a tang mount apature.

WOW I thought I was losing it for a second. that is the exact twin of my TC hawkins right down to the peep sight.
Actually not quite mine doesn't have the sling swivels. but even the wood grain looks very similar
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sax,
The 1:28 barrel is designed to shoot sabots or conicals. I use fffg black powder in the short barrel to get a little quicker powder burn so there is (hopefully) a little better velocity from such a short barrel. I wasn't sure I'd like the balance of the rifle with shuch a short barrel, but it's actually very stable to hold in the offhand position.

The accepted wisdom is fast twist for sabots & conicals - med twist for PRB, sabots, and conicals - slow twist for PRB. That hold true in most cases, but I've seen a few rifles that didn't read the rulebook! :lol:
wabi
hawg hunter

TC Hawken

Post by hawg hunter »

I,m not sure that I bought this rifle in 71 or 72 but the serial no is 123. Killed my first black powder deer and hog with it . 45 cal percussion and there's no way I'll part with it even if I do have a no. of other black powder rifles. TC still makes the best production muzzleloading rifles.
crowe

Post by crowe »

I have the TC hawken with the barrel shortened to 21 inches, 1 in 48 twist 50 cal.This gun loves the full bore 370 gr. maxi-balls over 85 gr. of pyrodex RS. consistant 2" groups at 75 yds.