Outdoor Canada article....comments needed!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Outdoor Canada article....comments needed!!!

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Hi all,

Our friends at Outdoor Canada Magazine have just released a very good article on the crossbow and crossbow hunting. Well, the bow hunter groups out there have been responding to this very accurate study on the "real world" performance information on the crossbow, and I'm pretty sure all of you could guess how they responded...not positively.

We need you guys to read this article and respond so they get some positive feedback. It seems the bowhunter groups out there do not like when somebody puts actual facts and logic into the crossbow discussion.

Here is a link to the article:

http://articles.outdoorcanada.ca/Homepa ... 049p1.html

Thanks to all of you for your help, we have to keep defending our right to use the equipment we wish to use!

Thanks,

Peter
Boo

Post by Boo »

Done and thank you for bringing this to our attention Peter!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
saxman

Post by saxman »

Great article and feedback left.
Thanks E.M.D.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
8up

Post by 8up »

Good article. I left feedback as well.
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ehntr

Crossbow Friendly Advise

Post by ehntr »

As I sifted through the data, it quickly became apparent that the modern compound bow-not the crossbow-holds the advantage in terms of speed, accuracy and range. Most of the new, vertical speed bows now on the market, for example, are shooting around 350 fps, with a 70-pound draw weight. In order to achieve the same type of speed and energy, crossbow enthusiasts would need to shoot with a minimum 225-pound draw weight. That's hardly what I would call an unfair advantage.
I'm from AB and the author is from AB.....CB hunting is not permitted in the archery season here (unless you are permanently handicapped). You can use the CB in the rifle season. The quote is from the article.......now when using facts to make a point......one MUST ensure that the facts are indeed facts....otherwise the argument loses all credibility. The quote states that "most" vertical bows are shooting 350 fps. This is not true of hunting bows shooting hunting weight arrows nor is it true of "most" bows. There are few bows on the market that are in the 350 fps window and that is achieved with 350 gr arrows. On the flip side.....there are a few 400+fps CB's out on the market and they do not have a 225# draw weight as suggested in the article and they do this using 425 gr bolts. There is no vert bow shooting 400 fps using 425 gr arrows. My point in this is to make sure the rhetoric is factual.....not fanciful, when we enter into debate...........the rest of the article is well written.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Good article.

ehntr . . .the quote is "Most of the new, vertical speed bows now on the market, for example, are shooting around 350 fps, with a 70-pound draw weight." It would have been nice if he had listed some bows. That would have strengthened his article. However, I do not think his comment was wrong. I guess we could do some research.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

I don't think the speed part of the article really matters all that much anyhow, the meat of the discussion is that crossbows are at best as effective as a verticle bow. The speed of the arrow means nothing if you can't hit what your aiming at.

The big misconception is that you can shoot 100 yards and a crossbow is just like a gun with a string on it which are totally a fabrications of the truth. The bow hunting groups are trying to scare thier members into thinking if the crossbow is allowed in all Provinces and States that traditional bowhunting (using the term loosley) will loose thier season they faught so hard to get. The reality of the matter is the crossbow can help save thier sport by allowing more people to enjoy it.

If they put as much energy into fighting for thier right to hunt than ban the crossbow we would all be in better shape. We are loosing hunters all the time, the less we have the less there is to hunt period and this discussion might mean nothing when none of us have a bow season or any season.

Peter
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Time for all the crossbow users to step to the plate!!
Both NY and PA have such strong lobbies for the vertical bows that make it nearly impossible to get other types of bow hunters onto the same playing field.
We are all bow hunters!
I submitted my feedback,and I am glad that I live in Ontario!
Bob Vandrish.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Well said!!We are all in this together as hunters, and as hunters we need to stick together and not sweat the small stuff!!
The best things in life are not things!!
Big John

thank's.

Post by Big John »

Thank's for the head's up. I posted my comments as well.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Right on!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
fletch

Post by fletch »

Feedback sent hope it helps.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:I don't think the speed part of the article really matters all that much anyhow, the meat of the discussion is that crossbows are at best as effective as a verticle bow. The speed of the arrow means nothing if you can't hit what your aiming at.

Peter
True.... but I have to agree with EHNTR on the speed statement or any other statement that isn't 100% correct.. The opposing side will nit pick every statement that is in favor of crsosbws. If one is just the tiniest bit erroneous they will harp on it and ignore the correct statements that they cant rebut. IOW- they will beat you over the head with the erroneous statement.

That is why some of us on here petitioned Bill T to change the name of his muskox article. That name would have been used against us.

I know this from litterally dozens of "debates". Everythng that we put forward in favor of crossbows should be 100% correct.

"Most" vertical bows are NOT 350 fps.. In fact very few of them are. The same thing for crossbows.

You are correct in that speed really doesn't matter that much as a plus 50 fps is not going to extend anyone's range.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You could also argue that most crossbows are not 350 fps. The article was comparing high speed verticles to high speed crossbows. That's the only way to attempt to compare apples to apples. I just wish the article had made specific comparisions. I think a very good arguement can be made when you look at a 350 fps verticle vs. a 350 fps crossbow. Everyone equates speed to effective range, so the arguement would have merit. I like that angle.

Crossbows are heavier, wider, louder . . .the only real advantage is the cocking and that's only if you are busted by the deer. However, if you are in a tree or a good blind, then odds are, you will not be busted drawing your verticle.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dsr

Post by dsr »

I haven't read the article yet but will do so. It occurs to me that if our crossbows are so damn accurate and far shooting perhaps more of the vertical bow hunters should be using them.Every deer hunting season there are a lot of wounded deer out there who might be hanging from the pole if the hunters had a more efficient weapon.
I wonder if there should be a restriction according to the brand of bow that is used. Should all V Bowers HAVE to use an APA or a Matthews Or a Jennings because someone thinks their choice of weapon is best?
Now don't get your crap hot because of this posting or it will burn your guts. It isa TIC(tongue in cheek) article as I think that the whole debate about V bows and CB's is so assinine.
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.