Exomax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Post by Normous »

Not to harp on you or be mean, but two co-workers have gotten so fat that the can't hunt this year because of the obesity and related health problems. It is sad to see. Don't let that be you. I would prefer you take steps to care for your health.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
rrcrc

Post by rrcrc »

No problem. I am on a diet and walked 45min today hope to be in shape for deer season.
Got the exomax today and I found out that my targets don't stop the arrow. What 3d deer target do you guys use?
Normous

Post by Normous »

I use the Glen Dell full Rut. It stops the Vortex and Equinox arrows easily.

Great on the walk! Walking on an empty stomach will burn more body fat that walking with a full stomach. Either will be good for your health, but to loose body fat, the empty stomach is the way to go. If you walk with a partial or full stomach the body will first use fuel that is circulating in the blood stream. When that runs out it will use energy being released from the stomach.
Walking on an empty stomach will utilize energy first from the bloodstream. When that runs out the next available source is bodyfat.
Easy.
Next try to focus on better eating habits. Try not to eat after 7pm. It gets stored as you know what.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
thorman75

Post by thorman75 »

Dont know where you got your information from but it's not correct. As a student Nurse with 3 semesters of A&P under my belt from Indiana University your body skelatal muscle draws its energy from glucagon. It would take a week to explain the whole process but full, empty, sleeping or awake dosent make a bit of difference.
better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

rrcrc wrote:Buying a new tree stand is easier that dieting. :D
ahhhhhhhhhhhh :wink: ..so thats why they sell two seater stands now..
they just call them two seaters to make us fat guys feel good :lol:
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
Normous

Post by Normous »

thorman75 wrote:Dont know where you got your information from but it's not correct. As a student Nurse with 3 semesters of A&P under my belt from Indiana University your body skelatal muscle draws its energy from glucagon. It would take a week to explain the whole process but full, empty, sleeping or awake dosent make a bit of difference.
I just tried to keep it simple for him, without any long explanation. Glucagon circulates in the blood, right? Thats what I meant.
I'm not a nurse like you, but have a different backgroud. My wife and have both have years of experience as personal trainers in the gym. We both have competed in bodybuiling shows and have done very well indeed due to our dieting and cardio. We have also trained and set up diets for men and women people who have competeted and placed first. Fitness and bodybuilding guys and girls are known to get their bodyfat levels very low to compete. All do cardio on an empty stomach for a reason, because it works well on reducing fat, compared to having a full stomach. So I do know where I got my information and it is correct. Do you have any such experience? Most nurses kinda look fat to me.

Last year I dropped 50 pounds to compete, all in 11 weeks. My bodyfat was 4%. Diet and cardio on an empty stomach plus some strict discipline was the key to my success.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
thorman75

Post by thorman75 »

Great job on the diet. In the simplest terms your body uses so much energy per day and you take in so much food per day. If you take in more than you use the excess is stored as fat. It is a nightmare to learn how your body does the things that it does that why Anatomy and Physiology is the make it or break it class. As far as the Nurses looking fat I'm 51 yo and some of them make me hurt. But if you want info on body building learn all you can about Physio, high protein diets, complex carbs, sleeping in O2 defecient atmospheres, Steroids, HGH its all in there.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Good advice Norm. I gave the same advice to someone looking for bigger hunting coveralls . . .not to mention names. In the long run, you darn well better be willing to lose the fat. Otherwise, just be prepared to lose your life.

I've found that if I can do something that makes me sweat for 30 minutes, 3 times a week, then I can eat pretty much anything I want. You got to make sure you are sweating for 30 minutes, sometimes it takes me 30 minutes to start sweating(depends on the exercise).

It's also REALLY important to realize you have a problem early. I've seen that the older you get, the harder it is on your body to recover. Therefore, it's never too late to start exercising and eating right, but, the younger you figure that out, the better.

The biggest thing to remember is you are not DIETING!!!!!!! You are changing your life. You are NO longer going to eat and drink yourself to death, which is what you are doing. If your doctor told you , "eat another chocolate chip cookie and you die", then you would aviod them. Unfortunately, that's what you are doing, but, a little at a time, so our mindset is, one cookie won't hurt. When in FACT, IT IS KILLING YOU.

Norm, I disagree in your empty stomach theory. Not that it's a bad idea, but, it makes it harder to get through the workout. I plan out my workouts/tennis matches. I want to make sure I have the energy to help me make the workouts easier. So, I eat some extra carbs before a workout/tennis match. It makes the routine/competition easier. I found that if it's easy, I'll do it. Not that my workouts are easy, but, being properly "fueled" makes it easier. Make sure your body is properly "fueled". Otherwise, you will be so depleted after a workout, you'll lay on the couch the rest of the day and wonder why your workout didn't make you loose weight. You want to make sure you can complete a "normal" day after a workout.

The entire weight loss battle is a matter of your body burning more calories than it's consuming. So, get educated!! What are you eating??? What are you working off?? You use about 1200 calories a day by just existing. So, simple enough, all the calories you eat over 1200 . . .you better work off or you'll be gaining weight.

Remember . . .this is a lifestyle change!!!!!!!! I can't stress this enough. You did not get FAT in two weeks. Your lifestyle got you here in several weeks/years. It will take several weeks/years to get you back to thin and healthy. Don't look at the scales. The scales don't mean nothing. If you start exercising and eating right, then you will FEEL better.

Do not wait until you are hungry to eat. Eat by the clock and not by your hunger. If you try to starve off your fat, then you get very hungry. What do you want to eat when you are very hungry?? Not a apple, but, an apple pie, RIGHT?? You will crave something of heavy fat . . .your body is programed to do that, it's a survival thing. Do not get to that point. Calories in and calories out is the name of the game. When you get hungry, you OVER EAT. You want 4 meals a day, but, keep the portions small. Your body will digest them better. EDUCATE YOURSELF. Calories in vs. calories out. 1200 calories is your base budget. You need 1200 to survive . . .after that, it's burn them or store them. Best be prepared to burn them if you are willing to eat them.

Eating . . .you will be amazed at the amount of food you can eat if you cut out the sweats, the sodas, and the between meal snacks. The way you cook can save you a ton of calories. The difference between fried chicken and grilled chicken . . .the grilled chicken has way less calories. Get educated on the way food is cooked and you will eat more than ever and still lose weight.

It's not easy. I'll give you that. However, the rewards are endless.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
thorman75

Post by thorman75 »

Fried Chicken cooked at home in new Canola oil is one thing the Fried Chicken from the fast food place in town where the oil is used over and over and over is the BAD news. Dont forget the the American Heart Assoc now recommends stress tests for all men starting at 40 now not 50. At age 50 it's time for the Colonoscopy LOL dont forget the PSA test too for the Prostate Antigen. Welcome to my world.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Scott,
I only do cardio to lose bodyfat on an empty stomach first thing upon waking on an empty stomach. Upon returing, I eat well and fuel my up and coming workout- my second gym visit when working afternoons.
I find I can do cardio only on an empty stomach, not much else.

All other strenuous workouts and related activities need to be done on a satisfied stomach, then followed by a post exersise meal. I couldn't work out in the gym worth a darn on an empty stomach. Shitty workouts actually for me.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Norm . . .timing on the meals is important, you are right. We need to prepare our body before a workout and replenish our system after a workout. I've never seem any studies that support your statement about exercising on an empty stomach. I don't see how it would lead to more calories being burned than if doing the same exercise on a full stomach.

Every body is different. Each of us needs to figure out what works for our body. I like having my meals about an hour before my workout. I also drink a lot of water through out the day. That works for me. However, at the end of the day it's a matter of calories in vs. calories burned out.

I have read studies that support a intensive resistance training program over cardio as a better way to lose weight. The idea is to get the muscles so fatigued that they keep burning calories long after the workout is over. However, I believe, you need to stress yourself during a workout to lose weight. That's why I suggest 30 minutes of sweating. When you are out of shape, it may not take much to get you sweating. However, once you get in better & better shape, it will take more and more. That's why people lose weight initally when they start an exercise program, then get stuck . . .their body got use to the workout.

Wow . . .maybe we should start an exercise & health thread. This actually pertains to hunting in the fact that there are too many heart attacks from hunters trying to drag out their deer. We need to make sure that doesn't happen to us.

thorman75 . . .fried chicken has a lot more calories than grilled. You are right about the oil, but, even the clean stuff has a lot more calories. My suggestion to everyone that wants to lose weight. Do all your cooking on the grill.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
thorman75

Post by thorman75 »

Well you have to remember grilling exposes the meat to known carcinogens, and there are oils on the market that are not digestable so its not all bad, take the skin off.
At night the parasympathic nervous system takes over, rest and digest, thats the time your reserves are replenished. There are 2 ways your body processes energy, aerobic and anerobic. It would take alot more space than alloted here to explain it but when glucose levels reach a certain level your body will start breaking down fat, a by product of this action is latic acid which causes muscles to ache, hence the term no pain no gain. Fat tissue(Adipose) has many uses in your body and acts as a cushion to protect your vital organs.The brain acts on glucose alone nothing else can pass the blood brain barrier as far as nutrients are concerned so eat your carbs too.
For more info do a search on the Krebs Cycle you'll find it exciting
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

thorman . . .we have the space. We just need it communicated in a way that we can all understand it.

I use a gas grill . . .do I need to use some other type of heat? I just know a lot of the fat, and calories within the fat, drips down and off the meat I cook on the grill. That's coupled with the breaded part of the fried chicken is where I get the reduction of calories. Basically I can eat the same piece of chicken at about 30% less calories.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
thorman75

Post by thorman75 »

Heres the idea try passing this on an exam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle

Look this over I'll be back.
BTW I cant express enough of the Cardiac Stress Test, just because your within your ideal weight dosent mean your Cardiac Arteries are open. I had mine last year and I am good for another 5 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate
try this link too
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

A genious is useless if he/she can't communicate their knowledge to those less gifted.

Sorry thorman75, but, that stuff lost me after the first two seconds of reading. :lol:

I agree with you on the stress test. Some people exercise enough to stay slim and eat crap. So, they can be thin with crappy arteries. That why you hear of thin athletes dying of a heart attack while running.

Put it on a fourth grade level for me. I'm less gifted. :oops:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen