tuning carbon arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gaswamper

tuning carbon arrows

Post by gaswamper »

i have a dozen carbon arrows and out of the dozen only two are tuned (broadheads align with the fletching) and those two shoot great. When i shot alluminum arrows i would tune my arrows by heating up the broadhead end of the arrow and aligning but not sure if i can do that with carbon. by the way i'm a new member and need all the help i can get. i really enjoy my phoenix.
mikej

Post by mikej »

i'm not sure just wanted to welcome you to the forum i'm sure you will get your answer soon there is a lot of knowledge here
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

you can heat a fied point held by vice grips and quickly screw in and pull insert out and the glue back in and align with broadhead,some feel this is not important but I make my own arrows and always align the blades.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Welcome!
First install a field tip into the cardon insert. Heat the tip only sufficiently with a heat source (lighter,candle,torch), then pull insert out with pliers. Burn off and clean remaining glue off the insert. Accetone or alcohol can be used as a final clean inside the carbon shaft and insert. Reglue and orient with the proper carbon glue. Thats it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Bluefish024

Post by Bluefish024 »

So it just like a fishing rod tip then.. Your not per say heating the bolt just the insert from the tip..OK another question answered..
Phoenix for Mrs/ Exocet 200 for me
Vari-zone / CompM3 Aimpoint
Boo strings
STS systems
New and improved,,,,kiss of death bolts...
Boo

Post by Boo »

I don't align mine and it kills deer and pesky little birds just fine.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Big John

b

Post by Big John »

I also don't align mine. They shoot perfect. Even after dozens and dozens.
With four blade heads it doesn't matter anyway. However, I do not align with fletching. When I did, they flew the exact same as the one's that weren't.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
gaswamper

Post by gaswamper »

the other ten shoot ok but not as good as the two that are aligned. i just thought maybe that was the problem.
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=747024

I found that this is a big help. I had to refletch to a new spot with 6 of 12 arrows and all my slick tricks shoot much better than before. One arrow I had to do move the fletching twice.

Hope this helps, Stosh
Boo

Post by Boo »

Stosh wrote:http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=747024

I found that this is a big help. I had to refletch to a new spot with 6 of 12 arrows and all my slick tricks shoot much better than before. One arrow I had to do move the fletching twice.

Hope this helps, Stosh
In the old days archers would find the spine of the arrow by putting the arrows into bearings on each end and one in the middle. By pushing down on the center bearing you find the spine of the arrow. I think that is what Vaguru was trying to achieve but in a more rudimentary fashion.
Some people just like stepping on rakes