going full circle

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

going full circle

Post by wabi »

It seems like many of my hunting experiences find me right back at my starting point after trying most of the alternatives. Started off crossow hunting with a Vixen (black mag-tip model) equipped with a drop-zone scope (before the vari-zone was available) and carrying arrows in a hip quiver.
I tried a couple of the Excalibur models that were "bigger & badder" like the Exocet and Exomag, but just couldn't get comfortable with the long power stroke which also equates to a long cocking stroke for us short people. :lol:
Finally settled on a Phoenix which is not much more than a Vixen on steroids (the forward riser being the steroid).

I've had a mental problem of using the crosshair regardless of range, though. Even on 3-D I've guessed range, then carefully sighted and shot under the target only to realize I'd used the crosshair instead of the proper range mark. :oops:

And quivers - tried the Dan Miller mount and it works great, but I just don't like the balance of the bow with it on. Just a bit too front heavy for my tastes.

Well, I'm back to hunting with my Phoenix (Vixen on steroids), my trusty old hip quiver, and a brand new vari-zone scope!
After what seems like a long list of sights (red-dot, three dot red dot, three crosshair crossbow scope, multi-range crossbow reticle scope, fiber optic factory sights, duplex reticle rifle scopes) I've decided the vari-zone is the best selection for me. :roll:

The only thing I did differently was sight in the crosshair for 25 yards instead of 20. Most of my hunting shots are very short range, but I don't think 30 yards is out of reason, so I selected the 25 yard zero in case I forget the range marks. This way the arrow would still be in the kill zone if I did use the crosshair. :oops:
It works out the range marks are still good at 10 yard intervals and my very limited shooting at longer ranges has had me sticking arrows in a 2" target dot at 35 & 45 yards. Haven't tried 55 yet, as there is no way I'd try a hunting shot that far, and I didn't want to move the target again. :lol:
The top duplex post is good at 15 yards (and closer), but the crosshair still keeps the arrow within 2½" on those close shots.

Now if I could only find a deer to shoot! :(
So far the season hasn't offered many chances and the only shot I tried (opening morning miss on a big doe) confirmed the reason NOT to use regular rifle scopes on a crossbow. The POI had shifted from dead-on to 6-7" low left since I had last shot it the evening before and the arrow went under her at just over 25 yards. :shock: :? :evil:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

its the same for compound bows... you can buy the biggest and baddest one out there and shoot 80 pounds... sure its ok.. but back down to a more forgiving 55-60 bow bow and you iwll have more fun and shoot better groups all day. I love my exocet 200. But wanted bigger.. Got the equinox and its great also. But no better than its little bro. Im tall so cocking isnt alot different, but it will give you out 3-4 shots sooner LOL.

when i get some money saved up, i plan on getting the Phoenix also just to have as a target bow
wabi

Post by wabi »

crazyfarmer wrote:its the same for compound bows... you can buy the biggest and baddest one out there and shoot 80 pounds... sure its ok.. but back down to a more forgiving 55-60 bow bow and you iwll have more fun and shoot better groups all day. I love my exocet 200. But wanted bigger.. Got the equinox and its great also. But no better than its little bro. Im tall so cocking isnt alot different, but it will give you out 3-4 shots sooner LOL.

when i get some money saved up, i plan on getting the Phoenix also just to have as a target bow
CF,
I bought a cheap PSE compound this summer just to see if I could shoot one without aggravating my shoulder too much. It's a 55# pull and not the fastest, quietest, best looking bow for sure, but it shoots pretty well. I mentioned buying a newer, faster, better looking bow to my local pro shop owner the other day and he just said, "Why??? - I'll gurantee you that bow you have will kill any deer just as dead as the high priced models!"
A rare statement/opinion from a guy who sells bows, but I sure appreciate his honesty!
wabi
Benu

Post by Benu »

I'm glad I went with the Phoenix too, it is all I need and being under 6 feet and being a small guy, I appreciate the lighter draw. Now all I need is a deer to cap off my first year of xbow hunting.

Being a rookie, I made the mistake of planning with my wife, for this past week to hunt. In hindsight, I now realize it is way to early to hunt in the woods, if I had a stand adjacent to a corn or clover field (any food source) the story would be different. I am now planning on getting out during the second archery season, which conveniently falls on the November full moon. Yeah for us. It is way to easy to become obsessed with learning about hunting, especially when you have a very one track mind.

Maybe once I figure out deer, I'll upgrade to bigger Excalibur and go for Elephant or Rhino. jk :P
Take it easy.

Jason

2008 Phoenix
Varizone Scope
rm

Post by rm »

I have a Pheonix with varizone and love it as well. Was out sighting in this afternoon for a couple hours and am still amazed ho accurate these things are out to 50yrds with that scope.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Wabi what hip quiver do you use?

I find the same, don't like the quiver mounted onthe bow.
I have the exocet 175#, I may by a vixen down the road just to ake cocking that much easier.

I remember when I bought mine then biggest moose shot with a crossbow
was a vixen.( At that time).
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
wabi

Post by wabi »

My favorite quiver ia a leather one I've owned for years.
And they're on sale right now -
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.a ... p=0&i=4030
I like the snap closing belt loop and the hanging loops top and bottom. I can easily put it on my belt or take it off, and the loops allow me to hang it within easy reach when I'm in a tree stand, either from a small accessory screw-in hook or even a stub fron a small tree limb I've cut off. I used it for years and have a system of arranging the arrows (2 steel blunts, then 4 broadheads) so I can grab what I need instantly, by feel. If I want a braodhead I just grab the rear arrow, and if I want a steel blunt, the front one.
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

Good thread Wabi
It seems to work that way sometimes.
I usually shoot from a rest so the Groundpounder mout weight does not bother me.
I love it.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011