Ever weigh your gear?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Ever weigh your gear?

Post by Pydpiper »

Tonight after a short hunt I decided to see what all that crap I carry around weighs, and was quite surprised.
My bow with all it's goodies, home made and purchased, tips the scales at 10.6 pounds.
My pack, that has my quiver, flashlights and a whole bunch more stuff I don't need but can't live without weighs 5.5 pounds.
16 pounds of enjoyment hanging from various parts of my body sure explains why my back feels like it does after a short hunt, add the kid I happen to have with me slung over one arm at 45 pounds and it all starts to make sense.

I am ready for the day Bill T decides to start messing around with Titanium. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I used to leave home with a backpack. Now I am down to a fanny pack. By late rifle season I just need a knife and a few shells in my pocket. :lol:

Honestly, counting my crossbow I'm probably at about 15-20 pounds myself not counting clothing.

DuckHunt
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I don't even want to think about it! The required paperwork alone probably weighs several lbs! :?

My husband always teases me about how much I take into the woods: Calls, scents, rattle bag, garden clippers, flashlight, water, glowstick, compass, camera, t.p., extra gloves, fleece jacket, hat, knife, trail marking ribbon, binocs.... and now the shewee on top of it all. :oops:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i know my gear is heavy, i just don't want to know how heavy :wink: ..............bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
xhunter

Post by xhunter »

very good topic.

I personally find the bow is too heavy for me with the groundpounder mount, quiver and arrows. I removed them once. but put them back before I find a separate quiver carrier.

Also I don't carry backpack any more , fanny bag only.

If we are not hunting in remote areas, why carry that much?
X - FOR XBOW
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

And to think we all bought an Xcal partially because of the weight. :D :D
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
DanO

Post by DanO »

And as the season gets colder and colder, the clothing weight starts to add up as well. I wonder how the folks carrying the self-climbers handle all that weight plus the stand on their back.

Dan O. :shock:
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I took my climbing stand and affixed it in 2 pieces to an old jogging stroller frame. I rearranged the frame a little and now it wheels in my stand and gear on 2 wheels. If I get lucky, it doubles as a dead sled.
Brother Model 80
Automatic Needle Threader
Overcasting Foot with Side Cutter
80 Stitches
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Don't want to know how much weight I carry around. I do know that my fanny pack weigh's more at the start of the season, and gets lighter as the season goes on. LOL.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
golfcat

Post by golfcat »

I hunt on public land only, and don't dare leave a stand up so every time in and at the end of the day it all gets packed up and carried. Stand and rapid rails or a climber depending on where I'm going is around 22 pounds. Safety harness adds some more. Backpack with miscellaneous stuff I don't want to know how much it weighs. Exocet with quiver and bolts. All total is way too much, rough guess is well over 40 pounds. I've started leaving my knife at the truck along with a drag rope and everything else associated with dressing and removing deer from the field.

That does change during gun season as the expectation of actually getting a deer goes up and I start hunting out of a chair, will not get up in a tree with a gun, much prefer to be on the ground.

Roger
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The older I get the less I carry. I am now down to the bare essentials.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I now manage to get all the stuff I (think I need) into the pockets of my Pro Systems safety vest., save the binos which I carry on a harness. Caused me to be more selective about what I haul:

small LED head light
license
TPaper
range finder
rubber gloves
lineman's strap
grunt call
whistle/compass
lighter.

Rope cocker rides on my bow.
Camo gloves and mask in jacket pocket
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

"Ever weigh your gear?"

Only once and that was last week. My first sheep hunt in the mountains. A mountain walk up with our packs (two of us) contained everything we needed to survive for a week on the mountain. Pack weighed in at 61 lbs. :shock: I was apprehensive for sure.........I only weigh 150 lbs myself. It wasn't the easiest hike but we did 'er without any real problems...........five hours up to set up a base camp.

I have done some races in that terrain though (canadiandeathrace.com).....helped a lot I'm sure.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

Glad I dont have to worry bout weight as I drive and hunt from my Kawasaki mule. I usually carry 2 of everything plus a survival pack with space blankets, matches, etc. (had to spend the night a few times). hate it for yous guys :wink:
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
mikej

Post by mikej »

i don't know the weight but i carry my bow with all the accessories. and a backpack with the cocking aid, stringing aid , a spare string, 3 flashlights making ribbon, digital camera, video camera, scent killer, gps, 2 knives and soon to be added a buck bomb. :shock: wow i carry alot of stuff