Trouble sighting my Varizone

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Savagevervet

Trouble sighting my Varizone

Post by Savagevervet »

Good afternoon, everyone! I hope that your respective hunting seasons are going well, or if they haven't started yet, that they're shaping up to be great.

I'm having a problem sighting in my Varizone scope and I was wondering if anyone on the forum might be able to help. I can zero in at 10 yards with no problems, but when I move back to 20 yards my arrow drops 2-3 inches, which seems like a lot. Unfortunately, when I adjust the scope to zero in at 20 yards it throws off my original 10 yard sighting.

When I first mounted the scope to my bow I adjusted the compensation ring to 305 FPS BEFORE I started zeroing it in (I shoot a 2007 Phoenix). The scope's instructions tell you to do that AFTER you're sighted in at 20 yards. Could that be what is throwing me off? If so, what should the compensation ring be set at?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Savagevervet
taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

Normaly you ajust your scope dead on at 20 yards, then you shoot it at 50 yards, and ajust the compensation ring to get it dead on at th 50 yard line.Then recheck the 20 yards shot ,it should be right on.
Taureau noir
---------Chasseurs et Pêcheurs du Québec----
http://chasseursetpecheurs.actifforum.com
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/momo7132/LOGO/chasseur_pecheur2.jpg[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sight in the crosshairs at 20 yards then leave the adjustment turret screws alone. Then move back to 40 or 50 yards and use the appropriate range mark and see where the arrow hits. If it hits low adjust the velocity ring down to a slower speed, if high go up in speed until it's in the bullseye. Do the final sight check at the maximum range (50 yards) and when it's dead-on all the range marks will be accurate and you're through adjusting the velocity. I'd memorize that setting and check it every time before hunting. If someone turns the ring the only range you'll still be accurate at is the 20 yard crosshair. :wink:
My phoenix is set with the velocity at the 3 on 300.
Remember - once the crosshair is sighted in at 20 yards you're through adjusting the turrets!
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

And last, your ten yard hits should be low if the scope is sighted in for twenty, arrow hasn't started to rise yet. I use the tip of the upper post for my 10 yard zero on my Phoenix. Your bow is closer to 280 fps than 305, btw.
That's because they use a 350 grn arrow to get the advertised 305; yopurs are likely heavier by 50 grns or so.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

the problem is that scopes made to sight in at 20 yards:)

just sight in dead for 20 and at 10 yards just aim at the bottom of the circle. Thats what I do. But shooting dead on at 10 yards set for 20, i only shoot 1inch high. This is were practice comes into play.. the more you shoot, the more you know exactly where to place the sights on the target

when the games on, i only use the center crosshair most of the time and just raise and lower that on the deer since I dont have time to range when it counts :D