Temp of the Rut Not Matching the Temp

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Here is an observation. The rut is anything but on fire. These warm temps have really put a damper on rut activity. I am out there every day and I am able to compare notes of this date with temperature and deer activity for many years in the same spots. And here is what I have seen. Little bucks playing games with doe's and doing some chasing but being more of a nuisance then anything else. The big boys have not come out.

And here is another little tidbit of information my records are telling me. This has happened before. It was like this in 2004 and the rut was slow. There are other instances as well. And one thing happened each time during those heat related slow downs. The day the temperature finally took a nose dive all hell broke loose.

My records indicate that movement of deer during times of the rut always seemed to slow when the highs for the day exceeded 55 degrees. Now this is in southern Ohio so I do not know if any of this translates for your area, but I would think the general principal would hold true, just with different variants of temp. As soon as the temp for the high of the day went under 55, things went bonkers with tons more activity. The trick was to be out there the day the forecast called for the drop in temp.

Our big drop comes Saturday. The high will be under 55 and the low will get down into the mid 30's. I am going to hunt long and hard starting Friday afternoon and throughout the weekend. I have a sneaky suspicion it just may be one of the best times of the entire year to see bucks in good numbers.
dutchhunter

rut

Post by dutchhunter »

well i finally found two big fresh scrapes this morning went in and hung a set ready to hunt thisafternoon DUTCH
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I have seen a downward spiral in deer activitiy this week. Which I have credited to the super high temperatures. I've seen little bucks everyday the past five days. Not one of them looked to be up to no good:) Two weeks ago they were trying there hardest to sneak one over on the big boys, but this week "its hot why bother" seems to be their position. I decieded last night to take a two day break from the woods, and get my game face on for Friday. That's the day are weather breaks up here. A 12 degree difference in high temperatures. From Thursday to Friday .Ill enjoy the weather and fish for the next two days :) Come Friday look out big boys because I agree once the temperature drops ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOSE! Ill be watching the forum closely for the fall of a big palm buck Mike!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

same here Mike... I tried to say this a few days ago. The ruts in, but its not wide open. Big bucks have a few doe bedded but all of the deer arent in full rut swing yet. Its the warm temps which slow the movement. Watch what happens when the temps hit the 50's for highs.. its like war in the woods.

Its supposed to be 75 here friday which suks..

I expect my good hunting to start Monday when temps hit 50's 8) :D
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

I hope you're right Mike, Saturday is going to be our day according to the weather with a 12 degree drop and Sunday is the same.

Only problem, I'll be hunting on crown land so the orange vests will be thick everywhere!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Same here CF. 71 on Friday, 59 on Saturday. Maybe some rain both days. Monday and Tuesday will only get up to 53. The rut here should really pick up then. I've only got one buck tag left, and I've already set the bar at an 8pt. Hopefully there are a few more good ones that will be roaming outside of their normal ranges.

DuckHunt
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

here we go I KNOW THE RUT HAS STARTED HERE IN COLONIAL BEACH VA. I'VE SEEN THE MATING RITUAL TAKEING PLACE,HAS ANYBODY THOUGHT THAT MAYBE THE BIGGER BUCKS ARE WITH DOE'S TAKEING CARE OF BUSINESS AND THATS WHY YOU SEE SO MANY LITTLE ONES HOPING TO GET LUCKY?? I WENT OVER TO THE HUNT AGAIN TONITE THEY ADDED TO THERE NUMBER OF WALL HANGERS. I WAS TOLD MOST WERE KILLED TRAILING DOE'S. BELIEVE IT NOT A BUCKS NOSE WILL TELL HIM IF SHE IS READY OR NOT HE'S NOT GOING TO WASTE HIS TIME CHASING A DOE THATS NOT EVEN CLOSE. LOOK AT DOGS WHEN A BITCH COMES IN EVERY DOG FOR MILES SHOW UP DEER ARE NO DIFFERENT.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I hope your right about Friday and Saturday Mike.. This weather is just crazy. Our Bow hunting is suspended for a week to let the Shotgun guys/gals pass through for 7 days, then it is business as usual.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Daniele

temps and ruts

Post by Daniele »

It seems very slow around here too, i haven't been out as often as i used to for A.M. hunts (My favourite ) this season because i have a day shift steady, not so good for hunting season if you don't like aft. hunts.
As the forecast is rain for friday, saturday and sunday around here with high winds :twisted: :twisted: i thought i'd go out tonite and sit on the edge of the bush on the ground just to see where they would be coming from as i have no idea about evening patterns, well, had the xbow with me just in case :lol: and the camera, by 5:20 it was getting past my comfortable time for shooting, unloaded the bow and noticed some movement at the very end of the field, easy 500 yds, waited a little longer and up off the crest in the field unexpected pops a big doe, alert and on to something ( Me?), just watching now, 40-50 yds behind her pops MR Bruiser, ten point rack to die for and a neck to match, he only had eyes for her, she kept on the move and he just trottedd after her chattering away like" hey where are you going?" and just followed her like if he had something serious on his brain, never paid any mind to me or the spot i was in.
I am going back tomorrow with my portable and hopefully find a suitable tree , if nothing happens, it means hunting in the rain on the week-end, not looking forward to it with wind to boot.
Daniele
Good hunting, be safe.
wabi

Post by wabi »

A few days ago I could watch up to 20 does & fawns feed in a small (7-10 acre) soybean field while up to 3 different bucks chased various does at times. Yesterday there were 4 nervous does and no bucks in the field right at dark. 70º F temps and the chasing definately slows.
I'd guess the rut (actual breeding phase) is still about a week away here, but the current level of pre-rut should be prime buck hunting time. This hot weather has it to where early morning is about the only time you can see a buck. A friend of mine killed an 8 pointer yesterday morning from my stand over a hot scrape, but I don't think it was the buck that made the scrape. The scrape has been worked, but it looks like it's worked at night. This buck was 20 yards from the scrape and on a different trail.
wabi