Definitely NOT playing 'possum!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Savagevervet

Definitely NOT playing 'possum!

Post by Savagevervet »

I was driving to the woods early this morning and as I crested a hill I passed an opossum eating something in the middle of the road. Later, as I was driving home, I passed the same spot in the daylight. As it turns out, the opossum I saw earlier had been snacking on - you guessed it - another dead opossum.

I had no idea those little buggers were cannibalistic. Has anyone else ever heard of, or seen anything like that?

Savagevervet

P.S. No luck with the deer today, but at least I didn't bag another window sill.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Possums will eat anything, they are creatures of convenience, they live where they can, eat what they can.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Pydpiper wrote:Possums will eat anything, they are creatures of convenience, they live where they can, eat what they can.
Sounds a lot like my in-laws. :lol: :lol:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

raydaughety wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:Possums will eat anything, they are creatures of convenience, they live where they can, eat what they can.
Sounds a lot like my in-laws. :lol: :lol:
But probably not as cute, right? :wink:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

the eat anything... they are also a big fan of chicken!

some people dont know this, but chickens are cannibals also. Just like hogs, if they see something sick or bleeding, they will make a meal of it.

makes you think twice about eating chicken huh :P
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

crazyfarmer wrote:the eat anything... they are also a big fan of chicken!

some people dont know this, but chickens are cannibals also. Just like hogs, if they see something sick or bleeding, they will make a meal of it.

I've seen many a chicken up inside a beef carcass that was waiting for the fertilizer truck! :shock: :D

Shucks ... I don't care. Finger lickin' good, as the Colonel said. 8) :wink:
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:the eat anything... they are also a big fan of chicken!

I've seen many a chicken up inside a beef carcass that was waiting for the fertilizer truck! :shock: :D

Shucks ... I don't care. Finger lickin' good, as the Colonel said. 8) :wink:
LOL.. same here.. as long as its cooked its all good;) But to me chickens are just better tasting buzzards LOL
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

My boss and one my co-workers had a rabbit hop by them the other day carrying a mouse in its mouth. :?:
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wabi

Post by wabi »

In my observations what you saw was rare. Usually nothing will eat a 'possum! I've seen several lay in the spot where they died and decompose.
wabi
maple

Post by maple »

Speaking of omnivours, deer will eat grouse and turkey eggs out of the nest.

I've seen a black squirrel eating a road-killed bird.

Maple
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i had a pet possum that i found when he was only 6" long and he lived for over 2 years. their life expectancy is 18 months :shock:

he was litter trained too. he was EXACTLY the same as a cat, just not playful. he roamed the basement and would only do his business in his cage. his normal diet was cat food, but loved any scraps.

bet ya didnt know a possums spam is forked like a snake tongue :shock: the odd time hed try to get a piece of leg, arm, etc when he was feeling frisky :lol:

coolest pet ive ever had. grandfather had a skunk for a long time that didnt spray at all...until their dog killed it.