Filling my stock with foam

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Belt&Suspenders

Filling my stock with foam

Post by Belt&Suspenders »

I have an Exomax and want to fill the "voids" with expanding foam insulation like several on this thread have suggested. But I don't want to damage my crossbow. What exactly do I need to remove to do that? Just the 3 screws in the stock?? Thanks so much.
GaryL

Re: Filling my stock with foam

Post by GaryL »

Belt&Suspenders wrote:I have an Exomax and want to fill the "voids" with expanding foam insulation like several on this thread have suggested. But I don't want to damage my crossbow. What exactly do I need to remove to do that? Just the 3 screws in the stock?? Thanks so much.
What voids?

If ya be talking about the rail better leave well enough alone!! Need to remove the trigger and be super careful not to over fill. A good set of STS and a Boo string will take care of any noise you hope to quite down.

THINK ABOUT IT!!

GaryL.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

What I did was remove the tiger, vary easy it comes out in one peace. I also removed the riser system. Then filled the hole rail with foam. Carved out room to put the tiger back. Then cleaned out the two holes for the riser bolts with a drill bit. Added my STS and done!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Removing the trigger as Gary suggested is needed. Fill the trigger area with rags so that the space occupied by the trigger does not get filled or else it will be a PITA to remove the set foam. Another alternative is to remove the forward/front plastic rail cap and stuff the rail tightly with lose fiberglass insulation. Then, seal the plastic end cap to keep moisture out out of the fiberglass. I have done both. Both work equally well the way I see it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
saxman

Post by saxman »

I did mine by removing the trigger
Don't know if it shoots quieter but if something hits the rail while on stand it is quieter
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
mikej

Post by mikej »

i thought of doing it but decided against it. i felt is was to much of a risk in the event i screwed something up, plus i think if BillT and excalibur thought it should be filled they would come from the factory that way.
Belt&Suspenders

Ok, now I've messed up.

Guys, when I filled the rail up with foam, I forgot to take out the trigger. Now I've got a darn mess. The foam is hardening as I send this. Any ideas on how best to get this stuff out of the trigger assembly? Any solvent I can put in it? Heat it maybe?? Just got to darn excited I guess. Thx Harry
mikej

Post by mikej »

i haven't got a clue maybe try some sort of paint thinner or remover. but then the next problem is getting the stink of the solvent off of your bow. that is the type of problem that kept me from trying it. some sort of mess or damage. good luck i hope you get it fixed quickly without damage to your bow
Last edited by mikej on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belt&Suspenders

foam in my trigger

Thanks MikeJ. I read the foam bottle (it's DOW brand) and it said to use acetone so I'll run by Home Depot tomorrow and see if that works. Man I hope I haven't messed up my bow. I just wanted to try to make it a bit more quiet and this is what I get! Oh well, nobody to blame but me. Will let you know how I come out. Harry
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Acetone wont work if its dry..youll just have to start picking away at it.It will be ok it will just take a bit to get it out take your time..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Belt&Suspenders

foam in my trigger

Thanks Hoss. Then I won't get acetone. I'll just take my time and pick this stuff away. Bet next time I fill a stock rail with foam I take the trigger out! Harry
saxman

Post by saxman »

I got part of the way during the disassembly and called Boo
He walked me through the rest
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Belt&Suspenders sorry you ran into trouble.

This noise thingy has been covered many, many times over the years, and yup many filled the rail with foam.. some no problem some like you had some serious problems.. Trigger and trigger area, rail too full had to clean out the inside track for vane/feather clearance....

Most of what you hear is what you hear/feel and not what the critter you are hunting hears!!

I'm not going to state its a bad or good thing, what is good for some is bad for others.. a good set of STS, and a Boo string maybe with whiskers, a cheek rest of foam and most of what YOU hear is quited a big bunch.

In either case you learned something, hope all turns out well..

GaryL .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ger34

Post by ger34 »

acetone= nail polish remover...."borrow" some from the wife....if the foam is hard....take out the trigger assembly and pick away at it....the trigger assembly from what I understand is not that complicated...however..I would still take it to a machinist or a gunsmith to unassemble and reassemble after you clean up all the parts

I noticed alot of people talking about an STS...what exactly is that? does anyone have a picture of one? I don't want to "hijack" this thread....so just pm me the pictures please

I am working on a custom stock for mine...I think that will be the ticket to deadening the sound

Good luck with the trigger assembly
Summit Viper SS
Exocet 200
Gold Tip Laser II
4" vanes
100gr G5 Montecs
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

It's sad to read how well meaning folks get into trouble trying to make their cross bows quieter.

There is ONLY ONE WAY to use foam so deer won't hear your cross bow when it's fired. That's right. ONE WAY. It will work, too.

Just fill the deer's ears with foam. That's the only way it won't hear you shoot.

If the noise bothers you, the shooter, you can fix that problem with foam. Fill YOUR ears with foam.

Otherwise, forget about foam. Forget about the noise of your shot. The deer is going to hear either of two things--a slightly muffled sound of a shot, or, a shot.

So, unless you can eliminate ALL the sound of your shot, or speed up the bolt to be faster than the speed of sound, there's no point in worrying about it.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.