Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

[quote="Stash"]They'll own half a dozen assorted rifles for 2 weeks of gun season, but one crossbow for 3 months of archery hunting

.243, shotgun and a Vixon. Does one need more? :) :)
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Stash wrote:Curious that people have 10 different guns for different game, but try to use the same crossbow for everything from moose to squirrels... They'll own half a dozen assorted rifles for 2 weeks of gun season, but one crossbow for 3 months of archery hunting

Do you also try to reload your .300 winmag cartridges with about 1/4 of the load to shoot rabbits? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Right on, however one must tinker..

Myself I have a Point blanc target xbow set up for lower poundage for squirrels, then a interchangeable prod with limb spacers making it as fast as a Vixen.. a 200LB mag straight prod, for other game.

Need a Excalibur for each job geeee's :roll:

GaryL
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Stash wrote:Curious that people have 10 different guns for different game, but try to use the same crossbow for everything from moose to squirrels... They'll own half a dozen assorted rifles for 2 weeks of gun season, but one crossbow for 3 months of archery hunting

Do you also try to reload your .300 winmag cartridges with about 1/4 of the load to shoot rabbits? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You raise a valid point--if you hunt only one species at a time.

If there is some light, compact, easily attached and detached device, one that would permit firing bolts at significantly reduced speed, and if the bolts shot to the same point of impact, that would be a valuable contribution to hunting.

It seems as though I only see grouse when I have my Exomax and I'm carrying broadheads. I absolutely refuse to fire a broadhead tipped bolt worth about $20.00 at a grouse. The only exception would be if a grouse attacks me, but that hasn't happened yet.

I have blunts, but a bolt tipped with one of them would be worth close to the same amount, if they are the G5 variety. Besides, I don't want to mush the grouse with a full powered bolt strike. Nor do I want to spend a lot of time looking for stray bolts that carried to Kingdom Come.

If it can be made to work, it's a good idea.

By the way, I have carried an air pistol. It is legal in my jurisdiction. However, the thought has crossed my mind that if some busybody sees me sporting my air pistol, I may as well stop hunting right there and then. Might as well rub some lotion on the wrists where the handcuffs will be going and get ready for a strip search, whatever that would take. Unzip the pants and unbuckle the belt, I guess. "Man with handgun" is a top priority call you know, at least it is in our paranoid society.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Leonard Hawkins

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

If you shorten draw so that spring will still hold down bolt then you could probably shorten bolts and still get lots of speed. :lol:
DMc

Post by DMc »

I agree with you, Hi5. One of the things I have always enjoyed with bow hunting was the versatility of the tool. With my long bow I could hunt both the largest and smallest of game with ease. I love the cross bow but I find myself very excited with the thought of reducing the power stroke to enabling a flu-flu type arrow to be used for small game.

ch312, do continue your tests and keep us informed. My recurves shot at around 220 ft/sec and my long bows shot at about 180 ft/sec and worked excellently with flu-flus.

Dave
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i was messing around today and managed to get her down to 88 fps while still having enough pressure on the spring to hold the bolt in place. got her back up to 200fps and set the paracord so it wouldnt move but after 5-6 shots i noticed a lot of wear on the paracord.

this stuff is supposed to be 550lb test and people doing online tests say it breaks at 750lbs+ so im guessing the stuff i got from a local shop is justa cheap knock off. i plan no ordering real mil spec stuff if i cant find something else to use.

what i really need is to cut one of my strings and use that. what are strings made out of and where can i get some along with some serving? im thinking i could just use a small length of real bow string and serve the whole thing to prevent wear???

it can and will work, i just need to get something strong enough for the loop.

btw...accuracy is NOT effected at all at 12 yards, just shoots lower (farthest i can shoot inside :lol: )
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Why don't you get Boo (Don, I think) involved with your experimenting?

He's our String Man. Maybe between the two of you, you will figure out a good attach/detach system. He can certainly make up bow strings!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

good call, hi5.

i can experiment with lengths and send him measurements to make something up.

i just divided the string on each side of the serving and put the cord through that. full strength and it keeps the hooks of the cocker on each side of the rail. just need something strong enough to withstand the power of the mighty exomax :lol:
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I used to serve the release loop on my compound bows ... it makes them stiffer, and helps them wear longer. I used braided fishing line, as it's smaller in diameter than serving material and seems to wear like iron.
Grizz
ch312

Post by ch312 »

made up a new rig with 5 strands of paracord served with 40lb dacron fishing line. it works and shows no sign of wear or failing after 20 shots. the only problem? i made the damn thing too short so im only down to 280fps :lol:

accuracy was still not effected at 12 yards :wink:
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Why do you not make a longer string, I think they are 36 inches so if you made one 37 0r 38 it would not pull the limbs back as far and all else will be the same, Brace height would change but you want less speed, Just an Idea.

Happy New Year, Stosh
wabi

Post by wabi »

I thought you were tying it on like a release loop for a mechanical release is applied on a vert bow string.

Jut make a long loop & serve it in the center.
wabi
DMc

Post by DMc »

Stosh, a longer string won't work. The brace height would be so low it would interfer with the bow mount.

Plus what I am envisioning here is ch312 developing an attachment that can be applied in the field at a moment's notice. If he is successful in this, then while hunting the elusive whitetail, one encounters a fluffy bunny one could simply attach the draw reduction string, remove a blunt tipped arrow from the quiver and handily dispatch the rabbit without knocking him into the next county.

Dave
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I just love these type of threads! No pun intended. We seem to be 'nations of tweakers'. Never satisfied w/ the status quo, constantly experimenting and inventing.

I find it truly amazing while the rest of 'the world' is looking for every fps possible, here "we" are trying to slow them down!

Having whacked a few $10 squirrels myself, I'm following this closely. I think this is on to something! To be able to go from big game to small game w/ just a string change would be awesome.

One question. W/ the Emax being the test platform, does the added string loop allow for the rope cocker hooks to go on it versus the string itself? I'm having trouble seeing how you could cock the bow otherwise.
"Eze 18:21"