Hmm suppose to be talking me INTO buying another bow(that isn't needed) haha :P
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
(hoping a boo string in the new year)
ch312

Post by ch312 »

pydpiper, the whole point of using a slower bow is to minimize meat damage and the odds of losing a bolt. obviously a faster bow is more efficient but theres also a much bigger risk of losing a bolt.

for instance, i shot a squirrel with a judo point at 30 yards and the judo point went into a tree about 1 1/2". another time i shot a rabbit at 38 yards through the head and if it werent for a metal detector i wouldnt have found it. when you are up in a tree stand it doesnt matter as the bolt will go into the ground and likely be able to see it sticking out. but when you are walking and are shooting at a low angle, bolts can travel for a long ways skimming the ground.

the flu flu is the answer for vertical bows so that they dont need to buy a slower bow. we need something for crossbows and the only thing right now is to slow down the bow.

also, targets wont need to be much closer for slower bows but that doesnt matter anyways as most squirrels can be shot at 30 yards or less. a 400gr bolt traveling at 200fps will still have more than enough energy to kill a rabbit or squirrel at 30 yards. you just need to figure out what ranges each "dot" in your scope is zero'd at.
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

Ya all my hunting will be from me walking around in the woods/fields.
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

ch312, I am not trying to undermine what you are saying or trying to accomplish with slowing the bow down. I love to tinker and I think any type of modification is a good one. That is why I stayed out of your thread.
I have never mentioned killing efficiency, I do not need a fast bow for that, my rabbits last week were taken at ground level inside of 10'. There will be no more or no less meat damage from slowing the arrow, either you use a broadhead and it will pass through regardless of speed. A blunt is going to depend on shot placement too if you intend on eating whatever is stuck to the end of your arrow, a blunt at 10 yards will make mince meat out of a rabbit or squirrel unless it is a head shot, regardless of the speed.
I think your experimenting is awesome, I also think that is is time well spent. But I do not think that a slower arrow will have any benefit from a crossbow. To duplicate a flu flu the deed has to be done after an arrow is in flight, not before.
If you come up with an attachment that will allows a 10 yard shot easing the impact of my arrow while maintaining my current scope settings I will be first in line to buy one.
And as you mentioned, a 400 grain arrow at 200 FPS is enough to kill a rabbit, it is also enough energy to pass an arrow cleanly through a moose.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
chris50362

Post by chris50362 »

Ah, how effective is a field point on small game?
ch312

Post by ch312 »

well pydpiper, i guess time will tell :D

the rig im putting together can be removed in a minute to put the crossbow back to normal speeds so it will be easy to test fast vs slow kills. ill trap some neighbourhood cats to test 200fps vs 350fps :lol: :shock: JOKING calm down people :twisted:
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

chris50362 wrote:Ah, how effective is a field point on small game?
yes i was also wondering if i could use field point to hunt small game, or should i stick with my broadheads.
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

someone posted one of these before ......they come in different sizes...i know of a guy who made something like this with a coat hanger and field point

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0027604412354a.shtml
stoop14

Post by stoop14 »

would those work on a crossbow though?
Equinox
Vari-Zone
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

warningshot wrote:someone posted one of these before ......they come in different sizes...i know of a guy who made something like this with a coat hanger and field point

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0027604412354a.shtml
Very cool! One of the reviews says it drops the arrow just past 20 yards, sure has a big area for impact.
There is no mention of weight, I am going to try a couple if they come in 100 grain.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

chris50362 wrote:Ah, how effective is a field point on small game?
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... light=game
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

there are different sized ones ...if they are too big they may interfer with the stirrup ... we have tried smaller ones similar ones ...was shooting phoenix x bow and destroyed the head of a rabbit at under 10 yrds.. bolt was easy to find though....

[quote="stoop14"]would those work on a crossbow though?[/quote]