string or unstring

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

michiganman

string or unstring

Post by michiganman »

had my new exocet for a month now.might be a month before i shoot it again .wont be hunting turkkeys till may.should it be unstrung or does it really matter??? will it afect draw weight over time when left strung???
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

doesn't hurt it to be left strung. if longer than a month then take pressure off the diss pads
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

michiganman, I asked the same question back in October when our deer season started in my section of Ontario and I'll tell you what everyone told me then. It doesn't hurt to to leave it w/ the string on, however when the season's over or your not planning on shooting it for a while, it only takes 2 minutes to take the pads and string off.
I put mine on the the 1st of October, and when the season ended here Dec 31st, I took both the pads and string off till I plan on using it in the spring.
-Michael.
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The only benefit would be to the string it's self, takes the pressure off of it for a bit.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i take mine off if its gonna set for over a month.. no use in leaving pressure on the limbs when its not needed.

as said, it takes a whole 2 mins to take the D pads and string off.. so why not?
DMc

Post by DMc »

It won't make any difference to the bow or the string to leave it hooked up. This was a big concern back when synthetics first started coming out. I worked for a bower, back in the 60s, who had a glassed longbow and a recurve in the shop that he left strung. He would shoot them periodically just to test a batch of arrows but every month or so he would check the poundage on the weight scale. After 5 years of this use, they didn't drop a single ounce in pull poundage.

Basically, with synthetics, as long as you are not rupturing the fibers they are going to retain their energy values. So whichever way works for you, will also work for the bow.

Dave
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

A longbow puts very little pressure on the string while idle, in comparison to today's heavyweight crossbows. The string will continue to creep while it sits strung on a crossbow, creep is irreversible.
Me, I never stop shooting mine, so I concern myself very little with any benefits it may have. I have however seen first hand what happens to an expensive custom string that has it's life cut short by constant pressure and accelerated creep with heat.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I never unstring mine and have suffered no loss in fps. I do however, have some strings that don't creep, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Probably no real need to remove the string, but I do remove it when deer season is over. Just feel better knowing the limbs are relaxed and there's no strain on the string.
I believe Excalibur still recommends unstringing when you aren't going to be shooting for a few weeks, so why not follow the manufacturer's recommendations??????????
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

I remove the pads and string after the season
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I remove mine, more so out of ritual. It's kinda nice in September to put the string back on, get the brace height set, and get the old Exocet drilling the bullseyes again. Gets me primed for the season ahead.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

it only makes sense to remove pads an string ,its so easy.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I will add even if there is no proven benefit,it shows you are caring about your bows welfare and performance like ecoeaster says it gets you pumped in the fall.
DMc

Post by DMc »

I agree with following the manufacturer's recommendation of removing the string if the bow is to be inactive for an extended period of time. However, I like to shoot year round (frequently). It is nice to know that this will not cause any ill effects and that string wear will still be primarily a function of the number of shots fired.

Dave