Just when you think you have seen it all.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Just when you think you have seen it all.

Post by Mike P »

I see deer every day, lots of them. On any given morning or evening there are around 16 to 20 in my front yard. Many times I see them four or five feet away while looking out any given window of the house. Recently my arborvitaes and yews have been providing food for most of them.

Tonight there were over twenty in the yard when a small doe ran across the front yard and into the woods. A very large deer entered the yard and followed the path of the small doe. It was a buck. And he had no antlers!

I glassed him and could see the round depressions left by the now cast antlers. And he was running a doe! It is February 5th. and the bucks here never shed their antlers at this time. Most cast their antlers here around the last week of February from all the years I have watched them.

I find it very interesting that you guys up north had deer casting their antlers early and now it seems that this phenomenon is happening here.

And a doe in estrous in early February, that's just plain whacked!
mikej

Post by mikej »

found the first set of sheds here on dec 4th mike
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I had it here last year on the third had a buck whom had cast, breeding a doe on my cuddeback.
xbow kenny

Post by xbow kenny »

I watched a 5 by 5 white tail chasing a doe on Jan 25 three years ago, most bucks around here shed the end of December. Go figure.
I own P&R archery and sport. i sell excalibur crossbows and more. i also make custom strings and arrows. Relayer Y25 #559 Kenny custom string
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

here in western pa my dad took what he had thought was a big bodied doe the first week of december, turns out it was a buck that already shed! man that is early
PaBowhunter

Post by PaBowhunter »

They had a managed hunt in Maryland on January 19 and 20 they took seven bucks that had dropped their antlers.
dutchhunter

bucks

Post by dutchhunter »

last year on the opening week of turkey season we had several deer walk by the decoy one had half his rack 4 points on his right hand side that is the latest i have ever seen one with horns DUTCH