Spitfires and Grim Reapers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tenn. Equinox

Spitfires and Grim Reapers

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

Any one used either one. Are they good for crossbows or not so good .
I'm thinking about trying mechanials this year.
Tenn.

Equinox
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Well, I can tell you this about one of them!

Grim Reapers have poachers on their pro staff team!!

For that matter alone I would never use their product until they divest themselves of any involvement with Lethal Impact Outfitters!

And I would ask you to write to the people at Grim Reapers and let them know you feel the same.
roly

Post by roly »

Hey Mr . Tenn. I bought them to , I hope they do .

Double rings on jackhammers worked for me in the past , lot of poeple don't like them, but did a good job for me.
mikej

Post by mikej »

i love the spitfires.
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

I believe I'm gonna order some Spitfires .
I think they would be a good strong broadhead.
Have there been any reports on them opening in mid air.
Tenn.

Equinox
mikej

Post by mikej »

none from me . :lol: :lol: i paper tested them out of my phoenix and none opened early
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

I will be shooting 125grain SFs at 334 fps.
That should'nt open them up.
Tenn.

Equinox
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I busted a groundhog at 40 yards with a Spitfire 125 last year. I put a single rubberband on them and they are extremely accurate.

I advise against O-rings and never double band. Use the dental grade rubberbands used for braces. They work very well.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Tom

Post by Tom »

Tenn. Equinox wrote:I believe I'm gonna order some Spitfires .
I have used them for many years with no problems. As a statement for their strength ................. I have seen a 125 head (same as the 100 but with a 25gr weighted ring) which struck a deer in the spine, from directly above. The head stopped fully in the spine (all 3 blades) which they needed a puller to extract the head, it was really stuck. The head was in great shape with only bent blades, none broke.

As for opening in air, the company told me that they are tested to speeds of 450 fps with no failures. Now this is the important part, these tests were with new or nearly new retaining clips. Remember that the blades are held in place with the dimples on the retaining clips and the company states to replace the clips after 5 shots. To me this is not a problem as I use only new heads to hunt and use the practice blades for practice. BTW .... practice blades have same point of impact as hunting blades.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Tom wrote:
Tenn. Equinox wrote:I believe I'm gonna order some Spitfires .
I have used them for many years with no problems. As a statement for their strength ................. I have seen a 125 head (same as the 100 but with a 25gr weighted ring) which struck a deer in the spine, from directly above. The head stopped fully in the spine (all 3 blades) which they needed a puller to extract the head, it was really stuck. The head was in great shape with only bent blades, none broke.

As for opening in air, the company told me that they are tested to speeds of 450 fps with no failures. Now this is the important part, these tests were with new or nearly new retaining clips. Remember that the blades are held in place with the dimples on the retaining clips and the company states to replace the clips after 5 shots. To me this is not a problem as I use only new heads to hunt and use the practice blades for practice. BTW .... practice blades have same point of impact as hunting blades.

Good luck.
I had some open in air from my Exomax. . .the 125gr. These were given to my by another member to test and I'm not sure how many times they had been shot before I got them. I talked to the company and they suggested using the Spitfire Magnums for crossbows. The extra weight allows for a smoother release. I tested some and they did not open. They are a very good option. However, I started putting a single rubberband on the 125s and they shoot extremely well. I did this because I have too many 125 gr. field tips. I don't like to zero in everytime I switch from practice to hunting. The groundhog at 40 yards was a 125 gr Spitfire with a single rubberband. Hit it dead on . . .it went nowhere.

I would use Spitfires exclusively if they had a 2" cut. I suggest adding a rubberband. The company would not committ to how many shots the Spitfires were good for before the retention spring would wear out. Same goes for the innerloc system, Innerloc would not committ to the number of shots either. Fact is, they will eventually wear out . . .use a single rubberband.

I've never had an issue with any mechanical opening prematurely using a single rubberband(the good dental ones). We did have a member of the forum that had a mechanical not to open which was double banded with an O-ring. I've never had a mechanical not open using two rubberbands either, but, I stopped using two after I felt comfortable with one band doing the job.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
maple

Post by maple »

Spitfire 125 are the heads I use. I like 'em. A lot.

I have only ever had one errant shot with them, when I aimed for the boilermaker and hit the jugular instead!!! A good 14 inches to the side at 24 yards (dead deer anyhow). Never could explain that one to my satisfaction, but seeing Tom's post above, I do take them apart to clean them after a hit, and re-assemble the various 'good parts', and re-use them...... maybe I shouldn't.

Last year I started using a single rubber band as a precaution, and found no difference in trajectory. However, given the launch force, I'm not sure they even stay on the head.

So, shiney new ones for hunting sounds like a good idea.

Maple
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I shot them to test but didnt like them at all.. I didnt like that they dont come with a practice head so you have to waste one of the ones you get. I bent the blades and everything on them after shooting into a block target. Those blades are a PITA to change also with the little set screws. Some love them, but I just didnt like. I also dont like the idea of the blades pushing open. To me it just slows the bolt to much upon the impact.

wouldnt use grim's for the reasons Mike P listed. They are a mess they need to get fixed. Ruined their name also.

if you want to test something pick up a pack of rage 3 blades and a pack of spitfires. I did the test here and the rage won hands down as far as flight went. The spitfires grouped 5 inches low left from my fieldtips. The rage grouped in the same hole as the fieldtips

if you have the cash, try both and see which you like. Rage comes with a practice head also.

Im bias I guess because ive had good luck with rage, but I still think their design is leading the way for other mech heads :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Crazy . . .You are a bit bias. :lol: I still haven't shot the rage, but, there have been concerns about the O-ring seating. I still like the simple lever broadheads. Sure, you lose a little energy upon opening, but, I seriously think you are pushing plenty of energy with that powerhouse crossbow of yours. :shock: Mine too. :D

I found the spitfires to fly extremely well unless they opened in flight, then they were 10 inches off.

You need to try some Stricknines, buddy. Big cut for those big bucks you are shooting. :P

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
michiganman

heads

Post by michiganman »

the heads listed above are good heads.

but for me,seeing how i am a Rocket man its,sidewinder at 1.5" cut,great flight,stricknine at 2" cut 125grain,and hammerhead at 2" cut 100 grain.
50 plus whitetails and 6 turkeys too,in the family.

rocket also has the 2 blade rear deployment meat seeker,and the 3 blade also.I took a turkey with this head last year .i have tested the sidewinder at 302 fps with out a blade opening up early.One thing about rocket,if one blade starts to open they all blow open so flight should remain the same
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
dutchhunter

broad heads

Post by dutchhunter »

if you want to try a mechanicl go with the rage i just love them .for years we used a rear deploing head called a punchcutter and had great luck with them but thy are nolonger in canada so now we have the next best thing rage two blade and three blade .thy come with a practice head in the pack and fly just the same as feild points DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver