help in buying a big game cam

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ManX

help in buying a big game cam

Post by ManX »

dear friends,
I want to buy a cam for a low price but that works well for our job
The possibility that someone steal it in wood is high, so I need a small one also used.
Does a stealt cam 3mp is a good solution?
I have seen a lot on ebay.com for less than 50$
What do you use?
thanx&regards :wink:
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/ManX850/exorealtree-1.jpg[/img] ExomanX, Meopta 3100,[url=http://www.wolfszeit.com/images/WO.Mo.09-li..JPG]Wolfszeit[/url] scope mount, produce in ManX Factory spa: shock absorbers, 48 fff , 2216xx78 27% foc
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

If you are in an area where your camera has a good chance of "walking away" than I would find the cheapest one availible and see how long it takes to get stolen. That would give you an idea how long to leave it out. Even the cheap cameras take fairly good daytime pictures. Night time is a different story. Your best bet is infa red for that. cost is higher. No guarantee when you buy used on ebay. You could get burned.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
ManX

Post by ManX »

thanks,
I need it to understand if wild boars pass in the late evenings or early in the morning, not interesting in good pics resolution.
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/ManX850/exorealtree-1.jpg[/img] ExomanX, Meopta 3100,[url=http://www.wolfszeit.com/images/WO.Mo.09-li..JPG]Wolfszeit[/url] scope mount, produce in ManX Factory spa: shock absorbers, 48 fff , 2216xx78 27% foc
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i have a Stealth Cam I430IR has decent pics ... some cheaper cams are pigs on batterys and only take small memory cards , slow trigger speeds .... are all things to look at ...
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

its hard to find something thats going to actaully even work for under 50bucks used. You might find one that works, but chances are it will take 40000 pics of the sun coming up or a piece of grass blowing in the wind. Its some decent cams for around 100-120, but again you get what you pay for. Just dont get upset if you pay for something thats 50bucks and you dont get any deer pics. Ive got 5 200dollar cams and its always risky with them in the woods. You never know who's going to come by and grab it. Those safe boxes are neat but if someone wants it bad enough they will get it off the tree
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

crazyfarmer wrote:its hard to find something thats going to actaully even work for under 50bucks used. You might find one that works, but chances are it will take 40000 pics of the sun coming up or a piece of grass blowing in the wind. Its some decent cams for around 100-120, but again you get what you pay for. Just dont get upset if you pay for something thats 50bucks and you dont get any deer pics. Ive got 5 200dollar cams and its always risky with them in the woods. You never know who's going to come by and grab it. Those safe boxes are neat but if someone wants it bad enough they will get it off the tree
And if they can't get it off the tree they will probably destroy it anyway.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

check out zellers........a few weeks ago i was in one..they had a version out of a game cam for kids to play with...
i think it was about twenty bucks or so..this might be just what your looking for if you just want a cheap unit ...
im sure the pic wont be the greatest,but sounds like this might work for you..
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
huntone

Post by huntone »

I have had good service out of my Cuddlebacks. My Cuddlebacks, which are 3 years old, have been superb. However, they cost me quite a chunk. This year I am trying out a the new Bushnell Trophy Cam. The cam has IR and is very small, 5 inches. by 3 inches. I am using it for security reasons. You also can get a security box for this camera, but I can hide it better without. Good reviews on trail cams are found here.

http://www.chasingame.com/
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

If you are in a big theft area, the best way to use a trail cam is to not use flash at night else it tip someone off to where the camera is. Probably the best way to hang the camera is to use a ladder and hang it high. You won't get as much coverage of the area because you have to point the camera down at a pretty good angle, but not many will find that camera if it is around 10' high. Just be sure it is in a tree they can't climb easy.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

M-40 Moutrie.
Not too expensive,great pictures and really great battery life.(Use duracells).Here is one of my spring pictures!
This cam works great for me and I would buy another one tommorrow!

If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax