what would you do

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

one shot scott wrote:the Kid, for sure. 100%

But another good question would be, what would you think/do if the kid missed that trophy of a lifetime?

After the hug and no criticism I truly think you would have a kid that would beg to go back to the woods and try again every chance they got, kill or no kill everybody wins, the deer lives the kid is hooked and you seen it all

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
lscha

Post by lscha »

As soon as that big buck stepped out of the woods you would have a story for a lifetime regardless of the outcome.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

OK Paul Harvey . . .we are ready for the "rest of the story".

What happened?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

You have to let the kid take the shot, you gave him your word, other wise he's learned nothing.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I don't know . . .my brother shot a big Texas buck a few years ago and hasn't been deer hunting since. I ask him about going and he says he will start deer hunting again after I get one bigger than the one on his wall. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

come on guy's, the BIGGEST buck you have ever seen???get real, bump that little sucker off his stool and take the shot yourself, he's younger and will get other chances!!!! :lol:
mikej

Post by mikej »

sits in trees wrote:come on guy's, the BIGGEST buck you have ever seen???get real, bump that little sucker off his stool and take the shot yourself, he's younger and will get other chances!!!! :lol:
buck of a lifetime or not. for me its about introducing young ones to our great sport. i would be more happy to help a young hunter get his or her first deer even if it was a small fawn than i would be if i shot a 170 " booner my self. the joy on the childs face can't be matched. now don't get me wrong if i was by myself and Mr. booner happened to stroll by he'd be introduced to mr spitfire but that's a different story. i can't wait until the day my kids can accompany me to the stand and have their chance at their first deer.
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
SYLVAX

Post by SYLVAX »

I am really impressed by your posts, it is very NICE to see how KIND you are to your children...I know it well since my father was hunting all his life and till after he died I found out that kind of great sport and every time I am hunting, I give him a little memory and I am sorry we have never had hunted together - I´m sure he would definitely let me shoot first even shaking :wink:
DuckHunt

Re: what would you do

Post by DuckHunt »

Shotnbeer wrote:Do you let him/her shot or do you take the shot? I'll give my answer (the true one) after I see some replies. :)
I've lived this one. In 2007 my son took the shot with my Exomax. He was the biggest deer I've ever had within 30 yards. We were both shaking at the size of him when he was 75 yards away and closing. Our story didn't end perfectly, but it is still one of the best hunts I've ever been a part of.

To tell the truth, in 2006 I took the shot. It was only a spike in that case. Hindsight, and the look on my sons face, told me that I had missed a golden opportunity even though he had already taken two deer that year with my crossbow. From that point forward, when we go together I only shoot when he lets me.

DuckHunt
Boo

Re: what would you do

Post by Boo »

DuckHunt wrote:
Shotnbeer wrote:Do you let him/her shot or do you take the shot? I'll give my answer (the true one) after I see some replies. :)
I've lived this one. In 2007 my son took the shot with my Exomax. He was the biggest deer I've ever had within 30 yards. We were both shaking at the size of him when he was 75 yards away and closing. Our story didn't end perfectly, but it is still one of the best hunts I've ever been a part of.

To tell the truth, in 2006 I took the shot. It was only a spike in that case. Hindsight, and the look on my sons face, told me that I had missed a golden opportunity even though he had already taken two deer that year with my crossbow. From that point forward, when we go together I only shoot when he lets me.

DuckHunt
Too funny!
I love to hunt vicariously. Nothing better than a kids face making mine shine! Let the kid take the shot to teach her/him to pass the gift to others who may pass it to another and on and on hopefully for ever. Imagine being responsible for that!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mikej

Post by mikej »

well said boo
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Had a similiar situation but with fishing. Had my girls with me at a friends farm pond. I was gearing our efforts towards bream fishing but any fish would do. Fishing with nightcrawlers on the bottom. My youngest (around 4 at the time) daughters pole bowed over with a largemouth on it. Just reeling and pulling on the rod like a clumsy 4 year old would do. When the fish surfaced I knew it was a really nice fish. I also knew she would never get it in without breaking the line for how she was musceling it in. The thought crossed my mind for a second if I should take over or not but I didn't(knowing it was the right choice). And sure enough she straightened the little gold aberdene hook. It really was a nice fish but she didn't know any different. She had fun with it while it lasted and they still caught alot of fish and had a great day. A week later I went back by myself and caught and released the fish after weighing it. It was 8 pounds 6 oz. My biggest bass up to that time.
Why ride when you can walk!
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

And now the rest of the story. The truth is I handed my nephew, who was 12 at the time, the 30.06 and told him to make sure he had a clear shot right behind the shoulder. We were hunting a good funnel with grape vines. He had a good rest. The buck was walking cautiously about 80 yards. I kept asking, "you see him, you see him"? He answered,"Yea but not his shoulder". It didn't take long before the buck was buried in the grapevine. Gone. I'll never forget the look on his face. No buck fever, he just didn't have a shot.

I'm thinking to myself, holy crap, I had several opportunities for a shot and will probably never see one this big again. I took a deep breath, and I told him he had done the right thing.

On the second week of the season, in the same area, he shot a nice 8 point which he had mounted. His new rule is we don't mount a deer unless it is bigger than one you have on the wall. We're both still looking for that big one (it was big :shock: ). I have to give him credit he made the right call. I guess I did too (dang it was big).
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

For some reason I knew your story had a good ending :) GOOD FOR YOU

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

lscha wrote:I'd have to let the kid decide if he/she was confident enough to take the shot. If they said yes, I'd let them do it.

I like your answer best.

If the kid were properly trained and prepared for the hunt, he/she would know whether or not the shot was likely to be within his capability. There's no need for the kid to feel he really HAS take the shot even if he isn't confident enough of his ability. That's not fair to the animal, and not fair to the kid.

Although we don't expect to run into a trophy of a lifetime, that kind of scenario would be best to have been discussed and considered before the hunt. It's the responsibility of the adult to control the hunt. If the kid is too agitated, or is simply not comfortable in taking the shot, or, the adult knows it's beyond the skill of the kid, the adult should take charge.

I don't think this is so simple a situation that you can say "Give the kid the shot" without considering things a bit deeper.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.