Wasp or Muzzys ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deputydog

Wasp or Muzzys ?

Post by Deputydog »

Ok, I know each person has a different opinion on broadheads. I use to use 125 gr. mussys with my PSE. Now that I've switched to the 2008 Exomax crossbow I have used wasp broadheads. I'm thinking about going back to muzzys. Ok let me hear some personal opinions from exomax owners on your best opinion of broadheads. Tks, Deputydog
Deputydog
animal

Post by animal »

I soot the wasp It flies like my field point for me . Muzzy look very close and work well . Just stay with the small heads.
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
Deputydog

Post by Deputydog »

Thanks animal, they do seem to shoot well. Just always like to have opinions of others shooting same setup. Thanks Deputydog
Deputydog
wabi

Post by wabi »

The brand name isn't important, how they shoot from your bow is!
Crossbows can be picky about what they like. I recommend picking a broadhead you like and trying it on targets to see how it does. If it groups well you are all set, if not then try some of the favorites often recommended on this forum.

BTW - when I say your bow I mean it. One of the highly recommended broadheads (slick trick) on the forum does not shoot all that well from my Phoenix with my usual arrows. Not bashing the brand, just pointing out that each bow has it's own personality! :wink:
wabi
Stash

Post by Stash »

I prefer the Muzzys only for the reason that they stay together when assembled. No fiddling with retaining rings.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The faster your speed, the harder it is to get a fixed blade broadhead to fly consistant. You need to take extra effort on making sure there is no wobble at all. Not even a small vibration type of a wobble. I honestly couldn't get the wasp nor the Slick Tricks to fly consistantly from 30 yards. Using a G5 squaring tool is a good idea. I also found that if a blade had a very slight bend, then all bets are off . . .the broadhead could go anywhere.

The Slick Tricks were easier to balance(get wobble free) for me. They also have a good amount of cutting surface for a small head.

I've never tried a muzzy.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I shoot 125 grain Wasp Hammer-SSI 3 blade, Have allways flown well out of my Exomax
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Rich

Post by Rich »

I shoot both the Wasp Boss and Muzzy 4 blade. They both fly exactly as my field points, but I find the Wasp's hold up better when striking bone. The Muzzy blades are always bent and not reuseable.

Rich
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Rich wrote: but I find the Wasp's hold up better when striking bone. The Muzzy blades are always bent and not reuseable.

Rich
Rich . . .from what I've been told . . .they make the blades thin enough so if they hit a large bone, the blades bend around it and keep cutting. The theory is to make them strong enough to cut through a rib, yet weak enough to bend around the shoulder. If they can get it perfect, then there is less deflection, less stoppage of the blade and more cutting. The down side is having to replace the blades. Not sure they can get it perfect.

The trade offs.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

For what it might be worth the "Right Stuff" package I recently bought from Danny Miller came with 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy. These are the regular/old Muzzy not the newer MX3 Muzzy. If I get a chance after work today I'll open the package, put together a head using the practice blades and see how it shoots. Will report back here with results.

Take care...
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

well a its been told and discussed here on BH's. one brand maybe a man or woman's dream. then another trys it and its a nightmare for them. i have gotten to where i dislike recommending any BH's to ppl. just have to try and see what works for your Bow. i have 10 sonic's and i can't get the 1st one to spin right. they all wobble off the pt where the 3 blades come together. lesson learned here putting them in garage sale this weekend.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Chris Dillard

MUZZY 145 grain 4 blade

Post by Chris Dillard »

Wasp is a fine head. Go with the Muzzy 145 grain 4 blade and a standard string on your bow, that set up along with Firebolts work well for my Exomax. Good Luck!!
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

bkisel wrote:For what it might be worth the "Right Stuff" package I recently bought from Danny Miller came with 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy. These are the regular/old Muzzy not the newer MX3 Muzzy. If I get a chance after work today I'll open the package, put together a head using the practice blades and see how it shoots. Will report back here with results.

Take care...
Hello again,

My son and I got to shoot some after my getting home from work. My son shooting offhand at 30 yards was holding perhaps a 4-6" group with both field tips and the one arrow with the Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade practice BH. I did better sitting in my canvas hunting seat and resting my elbows on my knee and thigh, something like a 3-4" group with both filed tip and the one Muzzy practice BH. No difference between field tip vs. BH flight that I could tell. I'm still learning to shoot the CB and might find a discerninable difference once I've gotten better.

Take care...
bucont

Post by bucont »

Muzzy for me.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA