Varizone or Lumizone!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kuffs

Varizone or Lumizone!

Post by Kuffs »

I know the physical dimensions are larger on the lumizone but
I don't see much difference in the either scope looking through them....
what's the feel out there on the two scopes from one to the other???
Is the Lumizone that much better or the same (red crosshairs aside, im talking the scope on its own)!
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Hope this helps a little, on another post I wrote...

"I got the Vari-Zone and have tested it at last shooting light. Pointed into the darkening woods you'd probably benifit from the Lumi, but pointed out into an open/lighter area the Vari-Zone is more than adequate."

Take care
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

considering you can get the varizone for 79.99 now i'd get that... the lumi weighs more but is nice to have in low light. I seldomneed to lighted crosshairs and also I tend to leave them on all night which isnt good for the battery.

I'd get the varizone if I had to do it all over.. I just ordered one for a vixen 2
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I am a Lumizone man. What happens when that BIG Buck comes in just at dusk 20 minutes to end of shooting time and you can not get him in your crosshairs as well as you would like??? I like to allways be prepared for the unexpected {Might go back to my Marine Corps days}
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

You guys are both right & make very good points! I've also never really needed the lighted crosshairs...I was more wondering of the quality of the scopes themselves!
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I like the lumizone better. For me, it just seems to have a larger picture. I never have used the lighted recticles while hunting. By time it's dark enough to need them, legal hours are over. By the way . . .when it's too dark to hunt . . .lighting up the recticles does nothing to help.

I'd like to have the lumizone without the lighted feature.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have used both and have had great success with either model .
Esox

Post by Esox »

I'll join the chorus... I have them both and both work fine... I like the lighted sights a little better, only because of the twight light factor at dusk but also on really cloudy days, and hunting in cedar thickets where it's darker than in a hardwoods. That extra bit of light on the reticle really helps for my older eyes....
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

The VariZone has always given me more than enough light until after legal hours. I love it.

However, while shooting 3D these past few months there have been several situations where we were shooting uphill, into the sun, against a black target (bear or boar) and it was difficult to see the black crosshairs. I've never had that situation while hunting though.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Esox wrote:I'll join the chorus... I have them both and both work fine... I like the lighted sights a little better, only because of the twight light factor at dusk but also on really cloudy days, and hunting in cedar thickets where it's darker than in a hardwoods. That extra bit of light on the reticle really helps for my older eyes....
I've practiced with the reticles lit . . .on low lumination, they look great, but, for me, on the higher settings it seems to distort the background(or maybe the brightness bothers my eyes). Thus, making the target harder to see. I like using them when I have a dark background and on the lower level lumination.

I just have not had the set-up to need the reticles lit on a hunt, yet.

Just courious . . .has anyone looked through the other end when lit? Can the deer see the red light? I'll have to get mine in the closet and take a look. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
michiganman

varizone

Post by michiganman »

i have the varizone,but have not hunted with it in dark areas yet.in the snow last december it worked great.i have a couple spots in hemloks.and its dark in there.i have had bucks hit this spot first,and last 15 minutes were you had to have a lit pin on my bow.also my eyes are not as good,id hate not to see my crosshairs .i guess ill find out in october.i did hunt with it this spring and shot a turkey out of my blind.i could see early with it.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

I just mounted a Lumizone replacing my Varizone.

My problem isn't necessary with a low light shot at 20 yards, but I find the chevrons for 30 hard to see.

I was hoping the step up to the 40 objective would help me with that.

I'm with you crazyfarmer....I have a red dot mounted on my turkey gun and always forget to turn it off. I think I have more money in replacement batteries than the scope cost.

I will be sighting it in this weekend and will see.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Both are excellent scopes. The vari has a 32mm objective and the lumi has a 40mm objective lens. The lighted cross hair might come in handy once in a great while but you will not need it very often. Nice to have tho. I just like a 40mm over a 32mm for lite gathering purposes thats why I chose the lumi. My personal choice :D now you have to make yours. :)
I am a hunter and proud of it.
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

My opnion on Scopes is dont use one!
Get use to your bow without the scope and when it gets too dark in the evening to shoot,dont shoot!
Anything with a battery in it and your asking for trouble!
I heard somewhere a few weeks back,what happen if that big buck coms out for a shot and your battery accidently dies!
Theres a reason I dont use a scope on my bow! :D

Just my opnion though!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

A lot may depend on whether you hunt primarily in more open areas or in heavily wooded areas.

The wooded areas with trees about and/or overhead will be darker later in the morning and get darker quicker in the late afternoon. In such a setting the larger diameter scope with illuminated reticle could/would be an asset.

If hunting in the more open areas, either scope would likely work well.

Any hunter with less than perfect eyesight could also benefit from the larger diameter scope with lighted reticle. I have a red dot on my Contender handgun and it works well in the deer hunting woods.

Dave